TRANSMISSION WILL NOT GO INTO PARK

Chevrolet

jhicks

August, 7, 2006 AT 3:52 PM

Chevrolet S10 pickup 88,000 miles. Truck will not set in park and will only start in Neutral. Automatic transmission.

Mikeybdman

August, 7, 2006 AT 3:58 PM

Sounds like the linage from the gear shifter to the transmission. I guess it could be a tranny problem, but lets hope for the best. List the year make model and engine and I will look to see if I can find something on it.

jhicks

August, 8, 2006 AT 11:27 PM

The truck is a 1998 chevrolet S-10 2 WD with a four cylinder engine automatic. The problem just started all of a sudden, I stopped for gas truck was fine got back in and went to crank and it would not crank. When you put the truck in park, the P in the dash does not light up and the truck will roll and you don't have to press the break to move the gear shifter. I have to put the truck in Neutral to crank it.

Ichey103

February, 6, 2010 AT 9:20 AM

Same problem 1996 chev s10 4wd Pickup

marco_38

March, 8, 2010 AT 8:18 PM

I have the same problem with a 2006 chev colorado 4wd pickup. Anyone found an answer?

MR62BUICK

November, 18, 2010 AT 2:37 AM

I would try adjusting the linkage. The trans is the only part that allows the trans to go into park, if the linkage is not adjusted properly (to tight of tolerances) then it cannot travel into park. Put the truck in neutral with ebrake on. Is the needle on the dash in the center of the "N"? If it is not, then you have to crawl under the vehicle, and loosen a nut on the linkage. That is the adjustment side. Put the vehicle into park (if you can( with the nut loose and the shifter in park. When both are in park, then tighten the jamb nut and then try to shift normally. If works, great, if not, go to trans shop. This is a GM product and I rarely see any issues with this type of vehicle.

Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service