Will not start

ADAMBD
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MALIBU
I am trying to sell it and it sat cold for a little over a month. When I tried to start it, it sounds like it will turnover, barely 1 or 2 times. As I continue to keep the key turned it makes a rapid clicking sound. I tried to jump it but it did the same thing.
The car is immaculate; the battery leads are clean. Is it a problem with the solenoid?
I don't know much about cars. Is this something I can fix and avoid a tow and a mechanic?
Saturday, November 10th, 2007 AT 12:05 PM

CHEVYII
Try and jump it again , it sounds like the connections were bad and your car wasnt getting any juice

Here are two guides to help.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/everything-goes-dead-when-engine-is-cranked

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

let me know what you find
-1
Saturday, November 10th, 2007 AT 12:08 PM
MICHAELA BATES
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MALIBU
My key broke in the ignition, I had the key removed and a new key made and programmed, and my car still will not start. The starter and battery are only months old, the key did turn the car on ( so I do not think there are ignition problems) and everything has power but will not not start. The anti-theft system light is still blinking. Is it possible the key was programmed incorrectly, was the anti-theft system still on, or could there be something wrong with my ignition? I am ruling out anything else because the car does not make any noise when starting is attempted.
Thursday, June 6th, 2019 AT 3:10 PM (Merged)
STEVE W.
If the security light is blinking the key is not being recognized. I would suggest taking it to a dealer as they can reprogram the security module to accept the new keys.
+2
MICHAELA BATES
Thank you! It did not accept the keys because they did not work. I just planned to get keys from the dealership. Thanks a lot have a good one.
KEN
Steve W. Is one of our best.

Please use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Tell a friend please.

Cheers, Ken
UTAHJAZZ1312
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MALIBU
My 2005 chevy malibu won't start. I was listening to music with the engine off in the cold. Went to start my car and hard a clicking sound. The lights on the car and the radio still worked but they were dimming on and off. The power windows were working in a super slow speed. Tried jumping it and did not work. Suggestions?
Have the battery load tested. Most parts stores will do it for free. Also, make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight.
LELLE2466
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MALIBU
I drove my car to the store about 5 miles from my house I went inside about 5 mins came out and the car wont start it cranks over but wont start it tried once but no luck. I checke d the fuel line that goes into the injectors and their is a value like a tire valve when I presse in on it fuel came out and it looked like is was under pressure. What else can I do it see what the proble is I cant see where the spark plugs are to see if there is spark or not.
Basic stuffs below perform it and comeback with some results

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
JADEFALCON
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MALIBU
I just tried using my remote car starter in my 2005 Malibu. The car attempted to start, then I heard the starter disengage, meanwhile a clicking noise continued for about 45 seconds.

I managed to get my coat on and run out there to find it still trying to start (clicking) but the keyfob wouldn't let me unlock the doors.

Looking into the window, I could see the security light flickering.
Shortly after the car stopped trying to start, and the keyfob unlocked the doors.

When I got into the car, I could hear the CD player cycling through all the CDs.

I tried to start the car by using the key.
Same clicking noise for a moment - then it all just died - again with the CD changer cycling through CDs.

Any ideas as to what it might be?

Thanks,
-Eric
JADEFALCON
After letting it sit for a bit - and trying again, the starter engages for a moment then stops.

I believe it's simply too cold to start, or the battery needs replacing.

It's currently 1F degrees outside.
ERNEST CLARK
Does the engine start using the key? If so, it's an electrical problem associated with the wiring of your alarm system/remote starter. It's possible the outside temperature is to blame, as sometimes moister gets into connectors and freezes over night.
JADEFALCON
Yes - when I tried after letting it sit, I used the key.
I will need to wait until later this afternoon when the temp outside gets to about 7F (our high for today is expected 8F)

ERNEST CLARK
Let me know if you have more questions
JJMOUNDS02
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MALIBU
This car was sitting over the winter. While trying to start the car won't turn over. I replaced the battery with a brand new one. It's weakly try to turn over but fails.
HOMER1967
Make sure that all of the battery connections are clean and tight, also check the grounds and make sure that they are clean and tight. If everything is ok try to jump start the car with a booster pack or jumper cable and if there is still an issue you may have bigger problems, possibly a starter or ground issue.
JOEJACK251
  • 2005 CHEVROLET MALIBU
When I turn the key to on none of the gauges move but the anti theft light stays on and car will not start
SATURNTECH9
If none of gauges move you have more issues then just the security system. Does your door locks work and keyless entry?Any codes?
-1
JOEJACK251
Yes the keyless remote works and the gauges move now but antitheft light is still on. They'll go up but the ignition won't turn over but acts like it wants to start then the gauges go back down
-1
SATURNTECH9
We need codes you can try get the codes with a basic code reader but more then likely Your going to have to go to a shop that has a more advanced code reader to read the body control module codes. Try the pass lock relearn I posted to atleast get the car started.
+1

Sponsored links