1999 CHEVY MALIBU NO HEAT

• Reaian
  • 1999 Chevrolet Malibu

Engine Cooling problem
1999 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 95000 miles

1st off just got done replacing lower intake gaskets because of coolant in the oil, after which I flushed the cooling system with one of those cheap prestone kits and refilled. Started engine waited for a temp and checked for heat. NONE! Further more the car heated to around 215 never overheated though. So I changed the thermostat refilled and bled the cooling system. I started it let get a temp. Checked for heat. NONE! Thinking I still had an air pocket I opened the bleeder it was a steady stream. At one point the resevior went empty the low coolant light came on so I added more immediatly while it was running. Shortly after that the resevior overflowed so I shut the car off afterwhich a nasty gas/steam evaporated out of the resevior and all the coolant disappeared. The thermostat opened once during all this I kno because I watched the gauge. I believe I have a blown head gasket and exhaust gasses are getting into the coolant. My question is. Is this the problem and how do I test for it. If not this then what? And how do I test for it?

Wednesday, December 3rd, 2008 AT 8:23 PM

• Docfixit

There is a block tester taht checks for CO turns purple if detected. That will tell you for sure. What 's oil look like? Chocolate malt? No white smoke from tail pipe

Thursday, December 4th, 2008 AT 8:15 AM
  • Reaian

Thanks for the reply, going for the tester right now. As for the oil it was the first thing I checked and it looks like fresh, clean oil. As for the white smoke most defenatly, not as much as some cars i've seen but defenatly there. If the block tester comes up positive next would be a compression check to narrow it down, right? Again thankx a lot times are a little tough right now and cant afford to take it to the shop.

Thursday, December 4th, 2008 AT 1:06 PM
  • Docfixit

If you need to replace headgasket will be here to assist

Thursday, December 4th, 2008 AT 1:45 PM
  • Reaian

Tester came in today, used it. Results were positive. I planned on changing both headgaskets if this were the case but I got to thinking this just indicates a leak. It could also mean a cracked or warped head or a cracked block right? And if so is there any definative way to tell which exactly is the cause? Any suggestions greatly appreciated thankx!

Friday, December 5th, 2008 AT 2:29 PM
  • Docfixit

Only way is due cylinder leakdown test Need the equipment that's the rub know any techs you could borrow?

Saturday, December 6th, 2008 AT 9:41 AM
  • Reaian

Thankx gona do some asking around try and find one, Ill let u kno.

Saturday, December 6th, 2008 AT 3:43 PM
  • Reaian

Its been a while, been busy and still got problems. Couldnt locate leakdown tester went a head and tore it down gaskets ended up looking alright had the heads pressure checked. No leaks, and surfaced.005". New gaskets and bolted it back up, started it, ran fine. Let it get a temp and checked for heat. Had it for half a minute then nothing. Also when it got to temp it started over flowing at the resevior for a minute or two and then sucked it dry and the low coolant light came on, I added more water only for it to do it again in a couple minutes. I repeated this for a while thinking I had an air bubble somewhere I opened the bleeder and no matter how long I left it open or when I opened it I couldnt get a steady stream of water. Again it never overheated and I dont kno if this is related but the gas needle fluctuates randomly between half and full. And after all this when u shut the car off u can hear the coolant boiling back into the resevior and it doesnt want to start agian right away you either half to give it a few minutes or give it throttle. Any ideas?
Thankx

Friday, December 12th, 2008 AT 1:05 PM
  • hms1018

For one, you are not to have the bleeder open while the car is running. The bleeder is only for checking that the cooling system is full. You may want to check the water pump at the weep hole on the bottom. My seal had went out on mine and it was only $13 for the part and I replaced it myself.

Monday, March 21st, 2011 AT 12:15 AM