CHEVY POWER WINDOW DEAD

2003 Chevrolet Impala

lachisolm

December, 30, 2009 AT 7:25 AM

Interior problem
2003 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

Hi guys, I am a female and in need of some desperate help. My power window on the front driver side just stopped working. Its had this problem for about 2 months where I would have to force it back up, but 2 days ago I let it down and now it won't come up.

I know its either the motor or the regulator, which one do I replace with my local mechanic. It goes down perfect, all the other windows work and the power locks work. Just won't go back up

TakeChargeSarge

December, 30, 2009 AT 11:52 AM

Lachisolm,

You should probably let your mechanic determine if the register or the motor needs to be replaced.

Personally, in view of the age of the vehicle and since it is the most used window in the car, I would replace the Register Assembly (consists of motor and register). Also, it takes much less time to install.

Good luck,

TakeChargeSarge

urodriguez

I had the same issue. You need a new power window switch, but you have to buy the entire cluster of switches, it is just one piece. Cost is about $100 but you can get it used for about half the price.

TakeChargeSarge

January, 12, 2010 AT 11:18 AM

Urodriguez is correct, it probably is the switch assembly instead of the register assembly.

You may want to read my previous post " 2001 Chevy Impala Power Window goes down but not up? Driver" . It is on page 12 near the bottom today.(Jan 12, 2010). May be on page 13 later.
There's instructions for removal and installation. Also, if you can use a small screwdriver, you may want to try a temporary fix. (That's in there, too).

TakeChargeSarge

Window Regulator and Motor Replacement Honda
Window Switch Replacement and Test
Dynamat Door Installation
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement
Headlight Bulb Replacement Volkswagen Jetta