Chevy Cavalier trac off light

CHAS_SR2000@YAHOO.COM
  • 2000 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 52,000 miles

I was driving to work a couple of weeks ago and the trac off light came on out of the blue and the car began to shift hard between gears. I have since parked the car because of this issue and it cannot be good on the transmission to drive it this way. I do not have any other light on with the trac off light. I called the dealership in my town and they said that if it were the wheel sensors, the ABS light would be on, but it isn't. I disconnected the battery for a couple of hours and re-connected it and the trac off light was off and everything was fine. I drove the car about 1/4 of a mile and the light came back on and began shifting hard again. What can possible be making the trac off light come on and make the car shift hard. HELP!
Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 9:54 AM

KEN
It sounds like you have a transmission shaft speed sensor that is out and needs to be replaced.

I would run the codes to see what comes up.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Trac Off Light when it receives an out of range input signal from the enhanced traction system in regards to the wheel speed sensors thru the ABS unit. They said the ABS light should come On if there's a problem with the wheel sensors-sometime it doesn't work that way-Bring it in they got the equipment to troubleshoot that problem and then maybe the computers that are involved.

But lets go for the easy fix first.

Here are the sensor locations in case you get an sensor code.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Wednesday, September 16th, 2009 AT 1:51 PM
CHAS_SR2000@YAHOO.COM
So, is this also true if the light comes on during engine idle only? I connected the battery again last night and started my car and literally sat in my car with it running in park. I sat approx. 2 min and the trac off light came on. I wasn't even driving.
+3
Wednesday, September 16th, 2009 AT 2:10 PM
If your're talking about the trac off light is shouldn't do that its not moving-Are you stepping on the brake if so could trigger a bad signal and causes the PCM to pop the light. The PCM is the main command of all systems which has an additional computers to communicate with. Have the computer scanned for codes even if the CEL is not on-Shifting hard could be caused by these sensors the throttle position sensor, vehicle speed sensor which the computer uses to command and control the transmission thru its upshift, downshift, lock-up/overdrive etc-Who knows the computer is lost between wheel speed and vehicle speed and reacting on it due to other problems-My best advise to you is bring it in, its hard for me to determine what's causing the problem I'm not with the vehicle its a lot tougher to do
Wednesday, September 16th, 2009 AT 2:32 PM
CHAS_SR2000@YAHOO.COM
I got around to scanning the car and nothing came up but I heard from a shop that the input speed sensor can cause this as well so me and a buddy installed a new one now the car works again! Ya. Thanks for your help guys ;)
+2
Wednesday, October 6th, 2010 AT 6:25 PM
BOBJOHNSEN
Thanks fix for the fix I have an 02 with the same issue. Trac off/hard shifting. Check Engine light is also coming on, but only when the Trac off light is off (they alternate). When the Trac off light goes out, the car shifts perfectly fine. STUPID CHEVYS ;)
+2
Tuesday, December 7th, 2010 AT 12:03 AM
LFRANKLINHGG
  • CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I have a 2000 cavalier, that recently the trac off light comes on, yet goes off when I shut the car off, upon putting the car back in drive it seems to engage hard, then runs fine. Do you think it could be a sensor in the traction system?
Friday, December 16th, 2016 AT 4:35 PM (Merged)
E40WATER12
Well if youre performance is effecting the drive abitly, Could have a trouble code in the transmission, U might have to go to a tranny shop to get it scanned.
-1
LFRANKLINHGG
Since the trac off light incident the car now is difficult to start takes atleast two tries, then last night after filling up with gas the check gauges light came on and my fuel gauge read empty, but only for a moment, could it be a sensor? The trac off light only comes on occasionally.
+1
MORRIS2008
It seems I have the same problem lfranklinhgg had.
I have a 2000 cavalier that recently the trac off light comes on, yet goes off when I shut the car off, upon putting the car back in drive it seems to engage hard and has the terrible sound from bottom of the car, and then it runs fine. We took it to different small shops, when they checked no codes came on. Do you think it could be a sensor in the traction system?
MORRIS2008
All the ABS Light, Service Light, and Track off lights come on together. Do you think it could be a sensor in the traction system? Anybody had the similar problem:

I have a 2000 cavalier that recently the trac off light comes on, yet goes off when I shut the car off, upon putting the car back in drive it seems to engage hard and has the terrible sound from bottom of the car, and then it runs fine. We took it to different small shops, when they checked no codes came on.
+1
MORRIS2008
  • 2000 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
2000 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Automatic 70000 miles

I have a 2000 cavalier, that recently the trac off light comes on, yet goes off when I shut the car off, upon putting the car back in drive it seems to engage hard has a terrible sound, then runs fine. We took it to different small shops for advice, when they checked it no code came on. Do you think it could be a sensor in the traction system?
+1
MERLIN2021
What is your ABS light doing? Trac and ABS are a working pair!
MORRIS2008
All the ABS Light, Service Light, and Track off lights come on together. Do you think it could be a sensor in the traction system? What do you suggest?
-1
MERLIN2021
First step is to have the codes read with a sanner that reads brake "C" codes, this will tell you were the fault is!
+1
RUCKS
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Brakes problem
2004 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 87687 miles

I have replaced all the brakes on the car. Replaced all of the sensors on the brakes. Changed the brakes hoses and so many more thinge to do with the brakes. And the ABS, SERVICE AND TRAC OFF LIGHTS still continue to stay on. Do you know why.
-1
PHANTOM01
Try unhooking the negative battery cable for a few minutes then if light comes back on check the ecm hook up to the abs computer
+2
Friday, December 16th, 2016 AT 4:36 PM (Merged)
MMPRINCE4000
ABS codes are "C" chassis codes. Most autoparts stores only read "P" powertrain codes. You will have to get codes read with a chassis scanner, usually at a local shop or dealer.
ZIGGYTO
  • 2000 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
2000 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl

For over a year now I have had a problem with the Traction Control Off, ABS and Check Engine lights coming on after I turn the steering wheel. Sometimes, if the lights mentioned above are off and I turn the steering wheel the Traction Control light (different than the Traction Control light off mentioned above) comes on and the car shakes until I straighten the direction of the wheels.

Recently, when I turn the car on and idle for a minute the Traction Control Off, ABS and Check Engine lights turn on. What could be the problem?
RHALL77
Have you had the vehicle scanned for trouble codes. You can stop at your local parts stores to have it scanned. Get back to me and let me know what you find out.
-1
RACHALMULHERIN
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
2003 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl unknow miles

About a month ago my engine light came on but besides some very minor performance issues I have not had any issues, checked fluids and after a few days the light never turned back on. Today while at a light the car died, a trac light came on and after that I could not keep my car started. We checked fluids, added oil and a heating agent to the gas tank. It seems to be running fine now but I assume it is important to get it checked out. Any suggestions as to what the problem may be and is $40 to hook it up to a computer and tell me what the problem is reasonable?

Thank you for your help in advance - Rachal Mulherin
402-310-2359