CHEVY ETS LIGHT STAYS ON, NO SPEEDOMETER

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier

Bloodychunks

October, 31, 2008 AT 3:38 PM

Computer problem
1999 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 123645 miles

Had the oil changed in my car today, after I left the shop my car would not shift, It starts and runs like normal but it will not shift. The ETS light is on and I have no readout on my speddometer could this be a problem with the ECM

James W.

October, 31, 2008 AT 8:58 PM

Have you taken it back to, or called the shop that changed your oil?

Bloodychunks

October, 31, 2008 AT 10:42 PM

Yes they claim that they did nothing wrong

bluelightnin6

October, 31, 2008 AT 10:59 PM

Sounds like it is a faulty speed sensor which is connected to your transmission. This sensor sends signals to both the transmission as well as the speedometer. Could have simply been a coincedence that this happened after oil change.

Bloodychunks

November, 1, 2008 AT 9:08 AM

Could it also cause the ETS light to stay on

How much am I looking at in repair costs

And Thank you for the quick responses

James W.

November, 1, 2008 AT 1:59 PM

Yes, it will cause the ETS light to come on. Just guessing, parts and labor may run $100 to $150, depending on where you have it done.

CarlFoley

December, 1, 2008 AT 9:28 PM

Had exactly the same issue after I had the serpentine belt changed at Valvolene. Wouldn't shift, no speedo. Took it to a AAMCO and they did a diagnositic for a few bucks and traced it to a loose wire around the speed sensor, probably pulled lose whilst the serpentine belt was changed, and my guess was that yours was similarly disturbed during the oil change.

Hope it similarly didn't cost you an arm and a leg in the end.

Bloodychunks

December, 2, 2008 AT 3:57 AM

It was the Speed sensor that was " unplugged" , It set me back $90 for a diagnostic from the dealer

bluelightnin6

December, 2, 2008 AT 4:00 AM

That was my diagnostic in my first post. Sorry you had to spend so much on such an easy fix.
Thanks for using 2carpros. Com!

Window Switch Replacement and Test
Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon