1996 CHEVY CAVALIER CAR DYING

• fiesty24
  • 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier

1996 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 142k miles

my cavy has recently had the head gasket done head was plained, got all new gaskets the works. It was still overheating, we bleed as much air out as possible, still overheating. Heater core went, replaced that. Still overheating. Put thermostat back in didnt bleed it now it stays at normal temp. But the big issue here is that after I got the head gasket replaced it was overheating so we replaced the radiator. After doing that it started dying on me while in motion. At first it would start right back up but run really rough. So I took it to a shop finally and they replaced throttle position sensor and the map sensor. It still wants to die. No other codes came up. This car has a mind of its own. It has been 4 months since I got the sensors replaced and the car will purr like a kitten and beg to be driven and she will drive awsome 4 about 3 days then suddenly she die out of the blue and will not start again 4 about half an hour this car has no rust no dents I love this car I dont want to get rid of it because I have so much money in it I have spent over a grand since nov last year trying to get her running. Sorry 4 the story but I want you to know what has happened to it to get an idea. Thank you 4 any replies. I am in much needed help. Thanks so much

Thursday, April 16th, 2009 AT 4:11 PM

• mmprince4000

Have shop perform a compression test to ensure the head gasket is OK.

If OK, then next logical step is to check the ign. Module. Symptoms you describe are that of a failing ign. Module.

Friday, April 17th, 2009 AT 6:49 AM
  • fiesty24

Thank you very much I will try that next

Friday, April 17th, 2009 AT 6:51 PM
  • mmprince4000

Get a used ign. Module from a junk yard if the compression test is OK. Make sure you ask it was from a running engine, it will save you a few bucks.

Saturday, April 18th, 2009 AT 5:17 AM