1989 CHEV CAVALIER ENGINE MISS

• toronado_85
  • 1989 Chevrolet Cavalier

1989 Cavilier, 107000 miles, 4 cylinder 2 liter, automatic: Car has been stalling when low RPM, but no codes up (engine light is off) and none in the computer. Weather is cold (-30 to -40 Deg F) Stalls when idle at red light or turning corners. Sometimes at the red light taking off I could tell there was a miss to the motor, and lack of power. Did not do this all the time, but frequently. Took car inside heated shop and checked plugs, all clean and firing. Found no wires damage. Found no obvious problem with anything esle, all looked ok (no vacuum leak, gas leaks, etc). When I ran it after, the problem went away for about an hour. It started with the car in 3rd gear, at low RPM, car would (studder) but when placed to second this went away as RPM increased. I am wondering if this is possibly a bad wire (shorting occasionally) or the ignition module failing? Or something else?

Monday, January 29th, 2007 AT 11:23 PM

• rasmataz

My way only-checking the resistance on the wires if its 30K ohms and over-I will change it.

Tuesday, January 30th, 2007 AT 4:14 AM
  • toronado_85

My experience has been that poor plug wire (high Ohms) will casue miss fire at load or higher RPM but may not show a miss at low RPM. This is due to the current through the wires I suspect being higher at load or higher RPM.

This car idles fine, had no miss at load when I had it just out of the garage. If it was a poor wire, would it not show as a problem more consistently?

Tuesday, January 30th, 2007 AT 11:05 PM
  • rasmataz

Best way to knock this out real quickie-is to Scope it-you will see your primary and secondary patterns what they doing

Wednesday, January 31st, 2007 AT 1:20 AM
  • toronado_85

Some more information. I did find one of the 4 wires (#2 cylinder) that had no resistance. The wire was bad, broken within the spark plug tip. Would nmake contact sometimes, other times not. During my Ohm test it broke into two.

Removed the coil pack and will take to a place that says they can test them. Has anyone had luck with testing the pack? Parts Source claims to be able to.

Thursday, February 1st, 2007 AT 10:33 PM
  • rasmataz

Well while its running start disconnecting it one @a time and look for a bright blue spark-not yellow.

But if you wish just go ahead and have them coil packs check.

Friday, February 2nd, 2007 AT 4:02 AM
  • toronado_85

Follow Up to Problem: The coil pack tested okay and works fine. The overdrive solenoid was faluty but just half the problem. Found number 3 cyliner badly fouled with whitist pink deposits, removed head, found weak part of gasket, replaced gasket, and has been working well for 5000 km so fare. There was also one poor wire (on the #3 cylinder) I changed at the same time.

Tuesday, August 21st, 2007 AT 9:59 PM