1996 z28 Camaro cooling fans will not turn on

ROGERCUTFORD
  • 1996 CHEVROLET CAMARO
We have chaged the water pump, themistate, the coolant sensor on the water pump, changed all 3 relays for fans whats funny is if you take the relays out and place them right back in the fans will cycle one time time quit but will not start again with out unpluging and repluging the relays. So what could it be? 1996 z28 5.7 lt1
Friday, July 13th, 2007 AT 4:08 PM

4THGENZ28
The signal between the temp. Sensor and the PCM are not triggering the relays, apparently.
If you have A/C, turn it on and see if you have low speed fan operation with the engine running. CAUTION: Be careful about not tangling with the serpentine belt, while you are feeling for the air in front of the alternator's location.
This is a good time to have the diagnostics performed rather than guess and pay for parts that, when replaced, don't solve the problem. Check continuity between the coolant temp. Sensor connector and the PCM Harness connector with a Volt-Ohm Meter (VOM) set to 20k ohms and the PCM fuse removed from the fuse block in the engine compartment. Also check the PCM's ground wire usually attached to the ignition coil bracket mounting stud. (Your Z28 may be different.)
DO NOT energize the ignition circuit or any PCM-related sensors, at any time while testing for continuity of the PCM circuitry or PCM wiring harness connections! Permanant and VERY EXSPENSIVE damages may result.
If you DO have a faulty PCM; chances are, it is going tho be a $1.50 voltage feedback resister, the ONE that receives the signal from the coolant temp. Sensor, and sends that signal (with a revised value) on to the PCM logic circuit FOR INTERPRETATION, that probably needs to be replaced by a electronics tech and you'll get your PCM back for about $130 because they don't have an exchange program, and you get to park your car for the 2 or 3 weeks it takes for turn-around.
Better hope that isn't your problem! :(
-1
Wednesday, July 18th, 2007 AT 4:08 PM
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
I have a 1996 Z28 5.7 to . Same thing happen to me I craked my heads I told them my fans were not kicking on but when they tried they would come on.They said my car was fix. I got in my car and before I went 5 mile my car was in the red. I live in vegas and it does get hella hot out here. But this is a Z28 and it is designed to run hot. anyhow took it back said same thing fans are not kicking on. they said they fixed it, again got in the car the car goes into the red . I paid then 1600.00 for my heads but the car was still over heating. the guy at the shop was freaking out. this time he said he fixed it and he let the car run for hours to see if it would over heat and it did not. so I picked up the car and guess what same dame thing . this guy put a new radiator theromosat water pump in all for free. took car home and this time the car held up for about 3 weeks. So i figures this fool cant fix my car I then put a rebuild engine in.All the while telling these people my fans are not kicking on but it seamed to kick on for them. I did not take the car to chevy because i did not want to pay there price but I should of by now I have spent around 6 grand on this car. I figured I sank so much into I have to save it. Want I did was I tried to buy a thermosat that would open at 160 degress but all the auto part stores said u cant buy one and if u could it would not work. It would mess with the computer.But i remenber at the car races that when thier cars would start to over heat they would drill holes in the side of thier thermosats, this would open it up by letting more water run through it. this was a long time ago.I almost did that but i was looking on line and it was not hard to find a thermostat that open at 160 degress made just for a 1996 z28. I think auto zone now has one but u might have to order it its not something they would normally have on the self. and I also put in a modification I got at PEp Boy for about $30 buck that would turn on my fans at 175 degress sorry this respones is long and the spelling might not be right but i am typing super fast because I am pissed I ask these guy to do this in the first place but 6 grand latter i did it myself and is has been about a year and no problems. total coat abut $60 !!I wish someone would of wrote this to me a few years ago. this worked for me not telling u to do this but if your car is like mine a damn 1996 when they started to change things it might be worth a try. GOOD LUCK!! let me know z28jeff e-mail iamjeffcox@yahoo.com

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/72681_96385574_1f4c1d3fb6_edited_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/72681_goodbye_1.jpg

+2
Friday, July 27th, 2007 AT 8:20 AM