CHEVY

2003 Chevrolet Blazer

z06keyser_sosa

June, 2, 2008 AT 9:57 AM

Engine Cooling problem
2003 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 75000 miles

engine runs hot when I ride on the highway for more than 10 mins. I also noticed that when I go some where real quick (for instance a gas station) and the engine is off. When I come back to turn it on after 2 min the engine is hotter than 240 degrees. Ive replaced the water pump, thermostat, radiator cap, clutch fan, and flushed everything out. There is no oil in my coolant and im not loosing any coolant. Im stuck and help?

obxautomedic

June, 2, 2008 AT 6:19 PM

Have you checked the radiator itself? Look at the fins do they all look in tact and in good shape? Run your finger down or up the fins, do they turn to dust or brake off, if so it is time for a new radiator.

If the above is all good or seems to be. While vehicle is running look in the overflow tank, is it bubbling? Does it smell like exhaust fumes? If so you probably have a blown head gasket. If you don't see any bubbling find the top radiator hose does it feel like it has pressure. Is it easy to squeeze together? If it is wait a couple minutes check again. If the vehicle has not reached normal temp and there is pressure in the coolant system then you still most likely have a blown head gasket.

Post reply and results here.

z06keyser_sosa

June, 4, 2008 AT 3:48 PM

I didnt see any bubbles and it didnt smell like exaust. And I dont see anything leaking from the manifold. But ill check it out. Its weird how hot it gets after I turn the engine off though. I dont know.

obxautomedic

June, 4, 2008 AT 10:08 PM

Well, when you turn the vehicle off it will usually increase in temp by about 5 - 10 degrees before cooling down.

obxautomedic

June, 6, 2008 AT 5:23 PM

One other question just thought about.

Do you know if you have an Aluminum Head or Not?

If so did you use a Chemical Flush? If so before doing anything else I would reflush the system and use Plain Water. Using a chemical flush in an engine that has an aluminum head and steal block will create an Electrical Current and destroy the gaskets.

Water Pump Replacement Made Easy
Heater Hose Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage