1997 Chevy Blazer fuel pump

DENA70
  • 1997 CHEVROLET BLAZER
I would like to know if I have a bad fuel pump because my blazer stalled out at a few red lights and there is a noise coming from the back.
Tuesday, March 4th, 2008 AT 9:21 AM

PEAR69
Fuel pumps are either good or bad. They work or they do not work--there is no in between. Sometimes they get weak, but almost always it is something like a blocked up fuel filter or a rotted fuel line sucking air in that causes the fuel pump to work harder and eventually fail. If your engine started up chances are it is not the fuel pump--check the other things I mentioned.
+1
Tuesday, March 4th, 2008 AT 9:38 AM
ED ARMES
Fuel pumps make a noise but it is usually a low buzzing sound.
You can buy or better yet rent a fuel pressure tester at most auto parts stores. Pressure usually should run 40 to 45 pounds at fuel rail.
Tuesday, March 4th, 2008 AT 10:01 AM
PEAR69
For some reason your style fuel pump are usually loud--yes like a--low loud buzz. If the noise does not sound like s buzz or hum then it may be the exaust system vibrating in a hanger back by the fuel tank.

The fuel system on your vehicle DOES NOT have a fuel rail. It has a CPI system. There is a fuel pressure test port that looks like the stem on a tire. The pressure here should be between 60 and 66 PSI NOT between 40 and 45. If it is that low then the engine will almost not run. A CPI system needs a very high pressure to operate properly. Also, low fuel pressure usually means a blocked fuel filter or a rotted out gas line. Have your fuel system pressure checked.
+1
Thursday, March 6th, 2008 AT 11:11 PM