1999 CHEVY ASTRO FUEL GAGE/PUMP/TANK PROBLEMS

• eaglevl
  • 1999 Chevrolet Astro

1999 Chevy Astro 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 109000 miles

I just bought this chevy astro cargo van. The fuel gauge doesn't work and I was told that the sensor is the problem. I tried to put gas in the tank for the 1st time and the pump acted like the tank is full. Does this make any sense? Could the sensor be blocking the gas going into the tank?

Tuesday, April 15th, 2008 AT 11:53 PM

• Service Writer

Typically the gauge not working falls into the sending unit or a wiring such as a bad ground problem, but could be the gauge (cluster) itself or the VCM. Need to know if it is always full or always empty. Are you going to troubleshoot this?

There is no vent hose for the filler neck. Are there any codes in the pcm? The Evap is based on vacuum not pressure. But the purge solenoid may be closed, not allowing vapor flow. I wouldn't think the pressure sensor should affect anything as it is only reading the pressure unless it is mis-reading and causing the computer to shut down the purge solenoid.

Wednesday, April 16th, 2008 AT 8:05 AM