Check engine light flashing at high RPMs

SEATRAX
  • 2003 FORD RANGER
  • VR6
Did a complete tune up, plugs, wires, air filter, repaired all vacum leaks. Used a smoker to find leaks. Has high ltft on bank 1 at idle, 18%, other trims are normal, close to 0%, plus or minus 5%. On test drive it bog at full throttle and the check engine light flashes until you stop and let it idle for a few minutes. Engine don't seem to have full power. At idle it has a slight roughness. Think it may be cam positioner sensor. What do you think.
Sunday, September 28th, 2014 AT 2:47 PM

Scan for codes and check fuel pressure with a gauge autoparts rent it
-1
Sunday, September 28th, 2014 AT 3:46 PM
SEATRAX
Thanks for the come back. I have a fully equiped functioning mechanic work shop. We buy it if need be and only rent if absolutely necessary, like a fork lift, etc.
We checked the fuel pressure yesterday along with what I said before. Just drove the truck and the check engine light comes on for a few seconds after you full accelerste. Pending codes are random misfire and miss on 4, 5, 6 cyls. Just checked the vacuum at idle and is around 18 inc. Now think the cat conv. Is spopped up on the right bank. Runs fine at low speed or low rpm's. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jim
Sunday, September 28th, 2014 AT 4:16 PM
18" is lower than normal but normally a plugged exhaust/cat is normally 15" at idle what is it when this happens. Fuel pressure should be 60-65 key on engine off or running. It should remain with in 10 psi after shutdown for 2 minutes. If fuel pressure is low I would think it would cause psart of your problem. Also check injectiors misfires are a bitch to find as it can be any basic engine problem and or sensors. Check all grommets for being good as well as this can do it.
Sunday, September 28th, 2014 AT 4:27 PM
SEATRAX
Fuel pressure is 58psi running and slow bleed of after shutdown. Seem to be a slight erratic reading on the b1 sensor 1 o2 sensor.
Just drove the truck again and don't have proper power and scanner reading was again, miss on 4, 5, 6 and random misfire but it runs perfect on the road as long as no full acceleration. Again the LTFT on bank 1 is much higher that the other ST and LT fuel trims. Yes we replaced all bad grommets including the drivers side pvc elbow. All with new parts. Tightened top manifold bolts. Drives like a restricted exhaust but who knows. Guess we will drill the 1/4'' holes in the exhaust tomorrow and see what the gauge reading is. Yes we are still open for other ideas, o2 sensor? Beats the hell out of me.
Sunday, September 28th, 2014 AT 5:12 PM
58 psi is to low even 2 pounds can make a difference replace fuel filter at same time
Monday, September 29th, 2014 AT 6:18 AM
SEATRAX
Thanks for the come back. This is fyi, believe it or not, our parts truck is a '97 3.0 ranger with 30 psi fuel pressure and 40psi if you remove the vacuum hose from the regulator. Has been running like that for about a year.
Remove the y exhaust pipe on the 03 ranger and the l side was partially blocked and the cat convs had come apart. Has three cats on that pipe and all were bad. Will replace the y pipe with factory type.

Monday, September 29th, 2014 AT 5:31 PM