CARBURETOR AIR CUT OFF VALVE (DIAPHRAM)

1987 Honda Accord

pipor1

May, 6, 2013 AT 2:44 PM

Could you please explain the purpose of the air cut off valve(diaphragm) on the carburetor. My 1987 Accord is intermittently experiencing rough idling especially after a hard acceleration. I applied vacuum to the diaphragm of the Air Cut Off Valve and it doesn't hold a vacuum as it should. Could this defective valve among other possible problems cause rough idling?
Thank you,
Paul.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

pipor1

May, 6, 2013 AT 2:50 PM

I meant Air Vent Cut Off Valve on the carburetor.

May, 6, 2013 AT 4:19 PM

Its an air diverter valve for emission controls. Why do you think this valve is causing the issue?

Did you have the egr valve checked for sticking?

pipor1

May, 6, 2013 AT 6:15 PM

My question was the purpose of this valve and if it could cause an idling problem if it wasn't operating. Can it? The EGR valve appears to be working normally when I inspected it but I can't say it isn't sticking partially open that I don't know for sure. My question now is why the EGR valve would stick open after quick acceleration when driving, but not when I rev the engine in park or neutral time after time?