Car wont crank

AMBER FRUGE
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAMARO
Recently replaced the clutch. Drove it home one day and has not started since. Put a new battery, new. Switch, new starter, checked the fuses, the battery terminals, and alternator they were good. Still wont do anything more than click and lights come on.
Saturday, October 8th, 2016 AT 4:13 PM

AL514
There are two wires on the starter. One has power all the time from the battery, the other is from the ignition switch. Check both for power. One power all the time, and one with power when cranking the engine over. Let us know the results.
+1
Saturday, October 8th, 2016 AT 5:20 PM
AMBER FRUGE
Tried that yesterday, when we turn the ignition starter loses all power. Got the starter tested at auto parts store it came back good. Put a new switch still nothing. Tried bypassing vats nothing.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 11:47 AM
AL514
What do you mean it loses power? You are losing power on the wire from the battery? Or just do not have power on the ignition switch wire?
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 2:35 PM
AMBER FRUGE
The starter loses all power. We just finished rechecking all the fuses, going to try and bypass the vats again.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 2:43 PM
AL514
Here is a wiring diagram of the starter circuits. Does this car have a starter solenoid separate from the starter itself? Or is it built into the starter?
+1
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 2:57 PM
AL514
Because as you can see on the diagram the big red or black wire coming to the solenoid, comes straight from the battery. So that should not be losing any power at any time.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 2:59 PM
AL514
Or I guess my question is, is there only one wire going to the starter?
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 3:04 PM
AL514
If it is just clicking more than likely it is a bad starter solenoid.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 3:11 PM
AMBER FRUGE
Had the starter teated it came back good.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 3:27 PM
Different Feller,

I have sort of been following along.

This kind of works better if you answer questions, even a "I do not know", might aid in getting help with a what to check or test.

We do try to help!

The Medic
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 4:08 PM
AL514
Test with a multimeter at the starter and see if you are getting a full twelve volts down there. And if the car has been sitting now for while, the battery is getting weak.
+2
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 4:09 PM
AMBER FRUGE
Okay. First thing we did was buy a new starter, did not work. Then we bought a new battery. Still did not work. So we tested the solenoid, it is good. Load tested the battery, its good. Tested the starter, it turned over.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 4:11 PM
AMBER FRUGE
Checked the fuses, had a few bad ones so we replaced them. Put a new ignition switch, still wont do more than 'click'. The gauges go haywire and the lights come on but nothing else.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 4:13 PM
AMBER FRUGE
Then we bypassed the VATS, still no good. Now we are switching out the circuit board under the passenger side dash with the one from a parts car that only has body damage.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 4:15 PM
AMBER FRUGE
Already did that, it is good. And we have a battery charger and have already make sure it has a strong charge.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 4:16 PM
AMBER FRUGE
Forgot to add, we have to keep disconnecting the battery or the outside light stays on.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 4:18 PM
AL514
Outside light? Which ones?
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 4:20 PM
AL514
The box under the passenger side dash your changing is the body control module. It does ground the starter relay, but I did not know anything about lights staying on.
+1
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 4:22 PM
AMBER FRUGE
I know. I forgot to mention that. When the battery is connected the headlights taillights and brakes lights all stay on even though it wont do more than click and even when we do not have the key in the ignition.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 4:24 PM
AMBER FRUGE
We have been working on it for the last two weekends. I think we might call it quits and drag it to the shop.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 4:28 PM