Car engine turns over but does not crank

• 1 POST

Drove car fine for last four months no problems except it stalls or cuts off at times while sitting at a red light. I tried to crank one morning the engine turn over but will not crank. I replaced the alternator, starter, plugs, fuses, and ignition coil, still does the same thing. It also keep draining the battery when I try to crank it. It is getting gas into the carburetor. I do not know.

Sunday, December 18th, 2016 AT 6:07 PM

You may want to replace your fuel filter.

A repair manual specifically for your vehicle would aid you greatly in your regular maintenance (knowing what/ when to replace things) and also in repairs.

Other than possible vacuum leaks, my guess is your carburetor may need some tuning(maybe a rebuild).

It is hard to see it from here.

Check for vacuum leaks and tweak on the carburetor for starters.

Here is a guide for vacuum leaks.

I am going to throw in an answer I gave a good while back.

In general it is the same kind of stuff, but this was specifically given to a Jeep CJ.

As I am a Jeep CJ kind of guy myself.

Your 'stuff' may look a little different, the procedures are pretty much the same. (a repair manual might aid in identifying your stuff and any specifics)

I would skip over everything in the post until you get to the carburetor tuning part, see if that part can be "translated" to fit your carburetor. Grant it, this is a long thread, not something quick and simple.

Here is the post. This guy kind of started not knowing a whole lot!

Let us know how things are going.

The Medic

Monday, December 19th, 2016 AT 3:41 PM