2005 Cadillac STS engine vibration at idle

JFKSSS
  • 2005 CADILLAC STS
2005 Cadillac STS 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 118.00 miles

the engine has a bad vibration at idle
Saturday, June 26th, 2010 AT 6:00 AM

FACTORYJACK
Does it change with engine speed, or go away? One way to narrow it somewhat is to remove the serpentine belt to stop accessory rotation. If it goes away, accessories may be at fault. At that point, the crankshaft, and torque converter would be the largest rotating mass. Is there a check engine light on/flashing, this would indicate potential misfire.
Saturday, June 26th, 2010 AT 10:29 AM
JFKSSS
I done all that before hand I even replaced the crankshaft vibration damper. The engine only vibrates at idle, but run like a raped ape down the freeway.
As for engine codes it has done and it does not store codes because it has a can-bus system. I been working on cars for 25 years I never seen one do this.
+1
Monday, June 28th, 2010 AT 4:52 PM
FACTORYJACK
Not storing codes because it has CAN makes no sense to me. What are you trying to read codes with? HAs there been any repairs to the engine that may have some relation to this vibration?
Monday, June 28th, 2010 AT 10:40 PM
JFKSSS
It makes no sese to me to; GM can't tell even tell me whats wrong with it, I just had the car go though the state inspection here in Texas and it pass with flying colors. I ask the tech if there are any stored codes it has none.
Tuesday, June 29th, 2010 AT 10:26 AM
FACTORYJACK
If the vibration has been compared to a similar vehicle, and has been determined unacceptable, the next step would be to disconnect the torque converter and remove the belts. If the vibration is still present, that would narrow it down to an engine imbalance. If it goes away, then I would try re-indexing the torque converter first. It has three bolts that hold it to the flexplate. Try another mounting position and see if the vibration changes.
Tuesday, June 29th, 2010 AT 11:27 PM
JFKSSS
I will give it try this weekend, I sure let you know if it works or not.
Wednesday, June 30th, 2010 AT 7:51 AM