1991 Cadillac Deville Qeustions pertaining to reply from me

• 2 POSTS

1991 Cadillac Deville V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 165, 00 miles

MERLIN2021 says: What you need to realize is that cars with fuel pumps in the gas tank need fuel to cover the pump, or overheating and pump destruction occur, it's a good practice to keep at least 1/4 of a tank so the pump stay cool, check for the fuel pum starting when you turn the key to on, it should run for 2-3 seconds.

Okay, so pretty much keep half a tank left in the car at all times. What kind of sound from the pump when starting am I listening for for those 2-3 seconds? AN actual pumping sound or hissing sound or air pressure sound? Will the car be able to start if I put more gas into the tank? Or do you think I've blown the pump because I drove it while it was too low on gas? I have yet to go back and try to start it again after it has been sitting since Thursday (b/c it's not at my house). I just want to make sure I am not spending money I do not have for towing and on a new pump if I do not need it and the problem can be solved by simply not driving down the gas past a half a tank. But after sitting for so long, is it possible it will start up again, at least enough to drive 4-5 blocks away to the gas station?

Saturday, February 28th, 2009 AT 12:27 PM

You should be able to actually hear the pump run from the gas tank take the gas cap off and have a friend turn the key, if you hear it, check for spark, here's how to test fuel pressure, and spark.
Go here and checkout our video.
and this one!

Saturday, February 28th, 2009 AT 12:31 PM