1995 BUICK LESABRE REPLACING/A/C CLUTCH/COMPRESSOR

• Rsukovich
  • 1995 BUICK LESABRE

Air Conditioning problem
1995 Buick Lesabre 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130K miles

Re 3.8 L Engine. Getting noise from A/C compressor area and am assuming that either the clutch is bad or the compressor is bad. Since I am getting cool air from the vents, my best guess is the clutch or a bearing problem. In any event, I have to remove the compressor/clutch assembly. My question is, since I don't have a book, what is the recommended procedure for removing the compressor?

Monday, July 26th, 2010 AT 7:41 PM

• Rasmataz

Compressor Replacement

Hi rsukovich, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation this what keeps the site going

Compressor And Mounting

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_comp_4.jpg

REMOVE OR DISCONNECT

Recover refrigerant from A/C system, Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recycling. See: Service and Repair
Serpentine drive belt.
Front upper mounting bolt.
A/C compressor splash shield.
Electrical connections from compressor.
Bolt attaching A/C compressor and condenser hose to rear of A/C compressor.
Remaining compressor bolts and compressor. INSTALL OR CONNECT
Rear and lower front mounting bolts after positioning compressor (hand tight).
Lower vehicle.
Front upper mounting bolt and torque all bolts to specification.
Tighten Rear bolts to 26 Nm (20 lb. ft.) .
Tighten Front bolts to 50 Nm (37 lb. ft.) .
Raise vehicle.
A/C compressor and condenser hose to rear of compressor and attaching bolt.
Tighten Bolt to 23 Nm (17 lb. ft.) .
Electrical connections to compressor.
A/C compressor splash shield.
Serpentine drive belt.
Evacuate, charge, and leak test A/C system.

Monday, July 26th, 2010 AT 8:17 PM
  • Rsukovich

Sounds simple enough, but should I be able to do this with a minimal amout of removing things like the fan and maybe the radiator?

Tuesday, July 27th, 2010 AT 4:11 PM
  • Rsukovich

What do you say to removing the exhaust manifold which lies directly above the compressor?

-1
Thursday, July 29th, 2010 AT 9:02 AM
  • Rsukovich

I got the compressor back on and I got a connector left over it's red and looks like 2 contact and very short as if the only place it could go is in the back of the compressor somewhere. Or it might just be one of those hanging conncector that would have gone to an accessorie somewhere. I guess my question is how many electrical connections are there to the compressor other than the one that is connected for the clutch?

Thursday, August 5th, 2010 AT 9:35 PM
  • Rasmataz

Bob,

At the AC magnetic clutch wiring connector do you see a dark green and black wires if so disconnect the connector and check for power on one of the contacts on the red wire-this wire could be the clutch diode-Let me know or do a continuity test on it with the dark green wire on the clutch -should have continuity if so its the diode-its somewhere around that area-

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_diode_2.jpg

+1
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 3:33 PM
  • Rsukovich

OK. I'll do that. The wire that I speak of that is terminated with a red connector is only about 3" and if it plugs in anywhere, it has to be at the back of the compressor somewhere where I don't see any place for it to go.

-1
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 4:52 PM
  • Rasmataz

Is this the same compressor? If so inspect the wire if something is connected to it that broken off-if so could be the diode

Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 5:01 PM
  • Rsukovich

No, it's a remanufactured compressor.

Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 6:40 PM
  • Rasmataz

Turn key to run and check for power on that wire both contacts and let me know what you got-

Saturday, August 7th, 2010 AT 1:41 AM
  • Rsukovich

First let me tell you that I went back to the auto store (O'Reilly) and looked a a brand new unit to see if I could see any place this connector could go. There wasn't. I did this because when they do remans, they put plugs in to protect connectors and just paint black over everything and I wanted to eliminate any chance that I had of overlooking a painted over protective plug. Then I went back home and I did the test using RX1K scale. First I connected both terminal together turned the key on and got nothing. Then I took 1 side at a time and grounded and turned the key on. On one side got nothing and on the other side with key off the needle went to about 10 and with the key on it went to about three.

Saturday, August 7th, 2010 AT 12:53 PM

Other Air Conditioner Compressor Clutch Replace/Remove Questions