Steering wheel and brake pedal shakes when braking

DUWHOP31
  • 2007 NISSAN ALTIMA
I just recently replaced my front rotors and pads (3 months ago) I had a mechanic tell me recently that If your steering wheel is shaking when you are braking then most likely your front rotors are warped and if the pedal/floor board area shakes it's most likely the rear rotors are warped. My question is, what if its a little bit of both shaking when braking. (As well as I can hear shaking from the rear like behind the rear headrests) what could this be from?
Friday, August 13th, 2021 AT 9:42 AM

SQM

Primarily the shaking is most noticeable when the front rotors are wrapped. The rears will make shaking as well but many times not as noticeable.
Sometimes the shaking/vibrations are hard to diagnose as they car lead you to the wrong item.
But if the rear brakes has not been changed in a while it will be a good idea to inspect them.
Also keep in mind that a tire issue like a flat spot or uneven wear can also make the vehicle shake when you hit the brake.
The best way to find out is the rotors are wrapped, is to do a runout test. In this test you will have to attached a gauge to the rotor and turn it. It will show if there is unevenness in the surface which might not be noticeable with a visual check. (see diagram below)

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-rear-brake-pads-and-rotors

Please let me know of any questions.

Thank you.
Friday, August 13th, 2021 AT 10:29 AM

Sponsored links