VIBRATING WHEN STOPPED

2004 BMW 325

thiaguy

March, 27, 2009 AT 2:33 PM

Shakes or Wobbles problem
2004 BMW 325 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 56000 miles

When im stopped at light, sign, etc, my steering wheel starts to shake and engine seems louder. Any ideas? Thanks.

Dr. Hagerty

March, 27, 2009 AT 3:33 PM

Is the check engine light on?

thiaguy

March, 28, 2009 AT 6:29 PM

No, my service engine light isn't on. Thanks so much for the reply.

James W.

March, 29, 2009 AT 12:58 AM

If you let up on the brake does the shaking in the steering wheel stop?

thiaguy

April, 4, 2009 AT 6:58 AM

Sorry for late reply(internet problems). Everything sounds and feels normal after stepping off the brake. There is one thing that happened this week, the engine made the same sound that Im discribing when I was parked and I turnd on my foglights. Weird! Thanks

James W.

April, 4, 2009 AT 12:52 PM

It sounds like your idle speed control system is failing and won't compensate for added engine load. Does it act the same when you turn the AC on high?

thiaguy

April, 4, 2009 AT 8:09 PM

Yes, thats exactly what it acts and sounds like. Is this something that I can take care of myself and is it something I should address right away? Thanks

James W.

April, 4, 2009 AT 10:44 PM

The IAC is a small motorized unit that is mounted either on thr intake manifold by the fuel injectors or on the throttle body. It may just have to be removed and cleaned. It will have 3 wires going to it.
1-wht / grn
1-red / yell
1-wht / yell.

Dr. Hagerty

April, 5, 2009 AT 10:01 PM

The idle speed can be increased electronically through the GT-1 unit that the dealer and some independents have, call around.

Replace Your Turn Signal Switch Like a Pro