2001 BMW 325 EXHAUST BLOWS WHITE SMOKE AFTER OIL CHANGE

• mlandry1
  • 2001 BMW 325

2001 BMW 325 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles
After changing the oil in the car it started blowing out white smoke. Never blew white smoke out of the exhaust prior to the oil change. Turned car off checked out spark plugs first 3 soaked in oil last 3 ok no oil. Cleaned the spark plugs re-inserted them. Started the car and white smoke came out of tailpipe for ten minutes then problem went away like it never happened. A mechanic told me person put too much oil and checking the dip stick it was above the max. So what the heck happened thinking of taking this car on long journey next week should I have engine checked out.

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 7:04 AM

• Dr. Hagerty

It seems that having the engine checked out is indeed in order, sounds like the oil change from hell!

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 8:02 AM
  • mlandry1

I'm just wondering if you could explain the white smoke and what transpired in the engine after the oil change to end up with the outcome and could this do any longterm damage to the engine. Thank you

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 8:15 AM
  • Dr. Hagerty

Did the smoke have a particular aroma, was it sweet smelling? Or did it seem like stinky oil smoke?

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 8:33 AM
  • mlandry1

It didn't have a sweet smell to it nor did it have that stinky oil smell(maybe because we had just installed synthetic oil and it burns more cleanly) the smoke was at first thick white and trailed off getting to normal exhaust within ten to 15 minutes.

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 9:22 AM
  • Dr. Hagerty

Hard to say from here, an oil change alone should not have caused such an issue. I am unsure of the outcome but I do recommend another set of eyes on it and another opinion, preferably a live person, which in this case I am not, if you get my meaning.

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 9:27 AM
  • mlandry1

I will take your advise much appreciated thank you

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 9:39 AM
  • Dr. Hagerty

And thank you for your donation, from all of us here at 2CarPros.

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 9:48 AM
  • mlandry1

Took car to beamer mechanic noticed hole in intake hose will replace intake hose this friday. He assured me that this is what caused the car to have all these problems after oil change he was swamped and didn't have the time to go into much detaiils. Could you explain how the intake hose having a huge hole could be the cause of my problem. Thank you

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 12:58 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

A pat on the head will not assuage the fact that there may be another issue at play here. I'll wait until the repairs are complete, thank you very much.

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 1:11 PM
  • mlandry1

Makes sense will let you know how it goes after friday thanks paul

Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 1:18 PM