Battery light on dashboard

DIPAK PATEL
  • 2008 FORD FOCUS
I have a diesel engine.

Just after Christmas 2016 my car would not start, I suspected a flat battery. I called my breakdown guys who came out and jumped the battery and left the car running. I took the car for a little drive and took it to halfords who tested the battery and said to take the car for a long drive to make sure battery gets recharged. As I did this the battery light came on, the emergency light came on for a short while and disappeared, the power steering malfunction message also displayed but had no problem with power steering.

I took car back to Halfords who recommended changing the battery which I did. However the battery light remained. I took the car to a Ford dealership for a diagnostic, they said the battery had a faulty cell and that it would need replacing. I took the car back to Halfords who checked the battery and said that there was nothing wrong with it, however, replaced the battery for my piece of mind. When I restarted the car the battery light was still showing.

I was told by the Halfords man that I may have an issue with the alternator or that the computer system may need resetting. I am not sure what the issue is. I hope you can give me some advice.
Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 11:51 PM

STEVE W.
Do you have access to a multi meter? My suspicion is like yours in that you have an alternator related problem.

If you can get a meter, connect it across the battery terminals with the engine off and note the reading. 12.4 volts to 12.6 volts would be good. Now start the engine. You should see the meter go up to between 13.5 and 14 volts as it charges the battery. If you see no change the alternator is not charging.
Friday, January 6th, 2017 AT 2:46 AM
DIPAK PATEL
Thanks for your reply.

I do not have access to a multi meter, however, I will get this checked out.

If the voltage goes up like you have stated, that would indicate that the alternator is charging the battery. If the reading shows this and I still have the battery light showing, what could that be a result of.

I would also like to add that when driving, I have noticed the light switch off for a short while and then turn back on a again.
Friday, January 6th, 2017 AT 5:34 AM
STEVE W.
If it is charging properly with the light on, it is likely a bad wire or connection at the alternator. I think under a proper test of output and ripple voltage that the alternator will likely test bad, but I have been wrong before.
Friday, January 6th, 2017 AT 7:40 AM
DIPAK PATEL
Okay, thanks for your help. I will have to take it into a garage to get it checked out.
Friday, January 6th, 2017 AT 7:50 AM
KEN
Hey,

Did you ever get the problem fixed?

Best, Ken
Monday, January 9th, 2017 AT 1:05 PM
DIPAK PATEL
Yes I did thank you. I apologise for the late reply. The issue was a faulty alternator. Its now been replaced and all is good.
Monday, January 16th, 2017 AT 11:50 PM
KEN
Thanks for the feedback, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.
Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 12:11 PM