Battery light

TIM MILLER2
  • 2003 HONDA ACCORD
I had left the lights on for 4 hours and drained the battery. I tried to charge it but it drained quickly. I replaced the battery because it was several years old anyways. The battery light was still coming on and off. I had 2 shops test the charging system. The first one checked all the fuses and found the alternator was overcharging at times up to nearly 20v, but didn't think that was the cause of my battery drain. The second shop found the alternator was overcharging as well around 18+v an said I must replace the alternator before it causes more problems. So I replaced the alternator myself. After charging my new battery, I then installed and tested it and it is at 12.6v and when running its at 14.6v. I turned all the accessories on and the voltage drops minimally as I turn the equipment on. My question is, why is the battery light still coming on? I have seen where someone suggest that a trouble code could be stored and it may need to be cleared before the light will operate normally. Is this possible?
Sunday, December 1st, 2019 AT 7:14 AM

TIM MILLER2
Just so you have everything I know about the problem I did run additional load tests. I checked the voltage readings at idle and accelerated rpm's. With accessories on and with them off. Based on my test results and comparing them to my expected results as provided by my Hanes Repair Manual all of my results fall well within the safe and proper reading allowances. I then went to Autozone to see if there are any current engine codes and according to his device there weren't any found. I realize his device was a very basic code reader which doesn't have the ability to read pending codes, history codes or clear the codes anyway. I will be taking the car to a garage tomorrow and hopefully they can check for history codes and give me direction. I really would like your expert opinion on this matter. Please advise. Thank you
Sunday, December 1st, 2019 AT 2:35 PM
Hi,

Tim, check fuse 21 in the under dash fuse box. It is a 7.5 amp fuse that most likely blew when it was over charging.

See the attached schematic and let me know what you find.

Sunday, December 1st, 2019 AT 8:04 PM
SCGRANTURISMO

This could be a problem with the shielding on the highlighted wire that is on the charging circuit wiring diagram that I have included for you in the diagrams down below. I have also included a guide on how to find a short to ground and how to induce intermittent conditions in an automotive electrical circuit for you as well. You will need to use a Digital Multi-meter to use these guides, so here is a link below explaining how to use one, if needed:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-voltmeter

If the shielding around the wire is okay then there is also a possibility of an intermittent short to ground in the highlighted wire in between ECM/PCM and the gauge control module causing the warning light to illuminate. Please go through these guides and get back to us with what you are able to find out.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
Sunday, December 1st, 2019 AT 8:23 PM
TIM MILLER2
I checked the #21 fuse and it was not blown. I will look at the other items you suggested next. Thank you.
Wednesday, December 4th, 2019 AT 8:37 PM