Battery

MARIAHSTEVENS
  • 2011 TOYOTA COROLLA
My car battery keeps dying. We just bought the battery about 6 months ago. On Sunday my car didn't start I had a friend give me a jump start. Then on Wednesday it didn't start again. I don't leave my lights on at all and I was told my alternator is working fine. So what could be the problem?
Thursday, March 10th, 2016 AT 4:58 PM

Check the charging system yourself. Use an inexpensive digital voltmeter to measure the battery voltage while the engine is running. It must be between 13.75 and 14.75 volts. If that's what you find, it means it's working sufficiently to do the second half of the test, but that requires a professional load tester. If the voltage is okay, either the battery is defective or there's a drain on it.
+1
Thursday, March 10th, 2016 AT 5:36 PM
MARIAHSTEVENS
Thank you, I think you're right about the drain. We took it to a shop and they said my light in my trunk was left on even when the trunk was shut. So he turned it off permananetly. I just don't see how it takes 6 months for the battery to die if the trunk light was left on the entire time. Wouldn't it be sooner?
Thursday, March 10th, 2016 AT 7:32 PM
Depends on the size of the bulb. A small 194 "peanut" bulb draws around half an amp, and the larger "acorn" bulb draws about 3/4 amp. That may be not enough to kill a good battery overnight. If you had a starting problem that required lots of engine cranking, you would have found the battery might crank the engine for only a total of 60 seconds instead of three or four minutes. With fuel injection today, most engines start with only two or three seconds of cranking. It doesn't take much of a battery to do that.
+1
Friday, March 11th, 2016 AT 5:38 PM