Alternator wiring

DAVID DALLAS
  • 2004 FORD ESCAPE
I was replacing the alternator because the battery light was on and when I took off the three bolts to the alternator and turn the alternator to take the plugs off I notice that the center plug wire was cut and that the other two outer wires were spliced in with other wires. AutoZone has the replacement pigtail but I do not know where those three black wires go. Any and all help will be appreciated. I know the other two wires are wired in but I just need help with that center wire or maybe all three wires if someone could help me? Thank you
Sunday, December 20th, 2015 AT 5:02 PM

KEN

Here is a wiring diagram for the alternator and the rest of the system so you can fix the problem and get back on the road. (Below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
+4
Thursday, August 3rd, 2017 AT 8:36 PM
TRIBEGUY26
  • 2004 FORD ESCAPE
I put a 2007 Ford Escape engine in my 2004 Escape. The alternator plugs are different. The 2004 had two wires in plug the 2007 has three. I need to know what those wires are and where to route the extra wire so the charging system works. Thanks
Wednesday, September 26th, 2018 AT 12:43 PM (Merged)
RACEFAN966
If the 2004 alternator has the same mounting then use the old alternator otherwise you may need to put the bracket system on it from the old one. This would be much easier then rewiring, but it you would rather do that way. I will let you know what wire does what. However, if any of them go the computer that will me a challenge.
-1
ANTHONY TERRY
  • 2001 FORD ESCAPE
The main wire that leaves the junction box and goes to the alternator became bare after touching the exhaust, and shorted something out, starter does not engage, will not turn over.
+1
Check to make sure none of the main fuses under the hood are blown.
HUMPHREY CHAI
  • 2003 FORD ESCAPE
The plug in part that comes from the car side of the alternator had to be changed and the new plug in had three wires and I only have two wires. Which wires do I hook up to on the new plug in? The two outside wires or one in and the middle wire or middle wire and the other side? It gets confusing and now I am getting my battery fully charged, because you cannot start the car with a 11.50 volts battery.
STEVE W.
You need the light green with red and the black with yellow wires. On the original connector they would be the two outer wires. Pins one and three.
-1
SHAYNEMACK
  • 2001 FORD ESCAPE
Friday night we were taking a 200km drive. We were on a highway and had just past the last exit for 90km when our battery light came on. We tried to make it to the next exit assuming the alternator went but did not quite make it. We did make it about 80kms before finally the radio went black and we pulled over to the side of the road. Not a moment too soon as the steering went stiff and I assume the car turned off. As it is a $400.00 tow job from that place we opted to buy a couple batteries the next morning and try to drive it home. The car started up fine, and while the battery light remained on, we were able to drive it home. We tried replacing the battery and the battery light went out, but the interior dash lights seem a bit more dim (could be our imagination). We were able to drive about 80kms so far like this with no problems yet. The battery light is not currently on but now the emergency brake light is on. Could this be related somehow to a faulty alternator? Does this mean my alternator is going and not yet gone? Any opinions?
+1
SHAYNEMACK
That is definitely the intent. We live in a really rural area and cannot get it looked at to be fixed (whatever the problem) until Thursday. Just trying to gauge the likelihood of the problem while we wait.

I should also mention that since it has happened I have heard a wording noise. I am clearly no mechanic and while my husband thinks he knows all (he thinks a battery, it is definitely not the problem). I am no mechanic. I assume the sound is a belt. Will a faulty alternator cease or cause issues with the belt?
JOHNNYT73
Do you own any type of meter to measure voltage?

I cannot say for sure what that noise can be without really being there as it could be anything.