Replacing the alternator

BOB DEGROOT
  • 2001 FORD ESCAPE
How big of a job is it to replace the alternator on 2001 ford escape?
i am hearing that the front axle must be removed to get to it? Is this true or is there any short cuts available?
Tuesday, May 29th, 2007 AT 8:14 PM

KEN
There are two different engines for this car here is a guide to help you walk you through the steps when doing the job with diagrams below to show you on your car (below)

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-alternator

The diagrams below show how for both engine are below. It doesn't look like you need to remove the drive axle but some say you do so it must be tight fit.

1. With the vehicle up on ramps, remove the black plastic splash shield from underneath the right side of the engine. It's held on by about 5 M8 bolts, and one Phillips head screw.

2. Remove the serpentine belt. With the cover off, from underneath you can put a 1/2" drive socket into the tensioner pulley, crank it to the side with one hand while you unloop the belt around one of the pulleys with the other.

3. So far I've found 2 M13 bolts that go from the rear into the engine block. The top one you can just barely get at blindly from above. The second one is below and you can just barely get a socket on it wedging between the 1/2-shaft and front sub-frame.

4. There are (3) M13's holding the alternator, two on bottom, one on top, but I wasn't sure if/how I could get the alternator out and around the 1/2-shaft once I did get the thing un-bolted. I don't know if you have to take that out to remove the alternator or not.

5. Put the alternator aside, as you will not be able to remove it. You must next unbolt the metal bracket to which the altenator mounts. (There are either 2 or 3 bolts holding this mounting bracket, I can't recall). Once you remove the bracket, you can then remove the alternator.

6. When chaning the alternator, it is a good idea to also change the serpentine belt.

Tried the above, but found that the alternator cannot be removed after the above bracket is removed. The right side half-shaft must be removed in order to create a big enough hole to get the alternator out.

Do all of the above and then:

The 32mm nut that assembles the half-shaft to the spindle must be removed, the pinch bolt holding the ball joint must be removed, and the 2 nuts holding the half-shaft bearing must be removed.

Pry the ball joint out of the spindle, pull the spindle off the half-shaft, and then pull out the half-shaft. Then the alternator, when held in exactly the correct position, will come out the hole created by the half-shaft removal.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, May 29th, 2007 AT 9:40 PM
XLERB45
  • 2001 FORD ESCAPE
4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 144K miles

I have the removed the serpentine belt and electrical connections from the alternator and have the two mounting bolts completly loose. The bolts are not able to be completely removed because they hit the inner fender/frame. I am able to rock the alternator up and down slightly but am not able to remove it. There are no other bolts that I can see to remove.

How do I get this thing out?
Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 6:05 PM (Merged)
DBJOHN2000
Here is a guid to show you what you are in for when doing the job and the diagrams below to help you do the job on your car. You might need to undo one engine mount so you can move the engine over slightly.

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheer
AHEW1960
  • 2002 FORD ESCAPE
What is the best way to remove the alternator?
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Have to remove axle first. Use 18" extension with 13 mm socket. Use same setup for removing top alternator bolt. Extension fits between exhaust hanger and frame. Remove plastic shield behind axle (2 clips and hooked onto steering rack) and alternator bracket to engine (3 bolts). The alternator must be twisted a few ways to fit between the crank pulley, block and frame but it will fit without having to remove exhaust. Will take around 2 hours for the job
BBELK2013
  • 2002 FORD ESCAPE
Alternator was tested and was bad. I changed the alternator, hooked up the jumper cables, and started the vehicle. I let it run about 30 seconds and disconnected the cables. It continued to run about 30 seconds then cut off. I hooked the cables back up and got back in the vehicle to start it up. I smelled a burnt smell inside the cab. I tried to restart the vehicle, but now it won't turn over. Everything else will work, lights, radio, power windows, etc. (That is with the jumper cables hooked up), but the engine won't turn over. I took the battery out and charged it. I put it back in and it showed 12 volts. The engine still wouldn't turn over. After trying for a few seconds, I checked the voltage again and it was 6 volts. I looked under the hood at my connections and about 10 minutes later the voltage was 0. Is this a short in the charging/ignition systems? How likely is it that the plug to the alternator, being 12 years old, is the culprit? Possibly being brittle, was damaged when I removed it.
Sounds more like you have a bad battery. When it is fully discharged, you'll still read 12.2 volts. To draw a good battery down to 6 volts you would have to have such a huge load on it, like a wrench dropped across the posts. I think it's more likely you weren't making good contact with the meter probes. I've been fixing tvs for 40 years, and that has happened to me all the time.

What I would try next is to get a good battery / clean the connections / or use jumper cables to get voltage on the battery cables, then measure the voltage on the output terminal on the generator. If you find 0 volts there, a fuse or a fuse link wire is burned open. The generator may be working but the current can't get back to the battery. Sometimes Ford likes to tap off that terminal to feed other circuits, and that could explain the no-crank problem.

You didn't say how the old unit failed. If it had two shorted internal diodes, that would have burned open the fuse, but if that was a fuse link wire, there would be a carbon track left behind. It's also possible for those wires to corrode and just partially open up. Either way, the strong current from the new generator trying to charge the battery would finish the job. Usually you won't smell that though.
GEAR1986
  • 2003 FORD ESCAPE
How do you remove the alternator from a 2003 ford escape.
DUSTIN1980
You have to take the cv axle out and remove it through that opening
ERICGREGORY
  • 2002 FORD ESCAPE
2002 Ford Escape

removal of the alternator where is the halfshaft
BLUELIGHTNIN6
4 cylinder or 6 cylinder?
MJR346
My guess is v6 and the right cv axle shaft is called a half shaft. It requires complete removal to replace the alternator. And needs a new axle nut torqued to roughly 200 lb/ft if I remember. Something that most 1/2 drive torque wrenches (common biggest size for sale in most tool places such as Sears) don't go up to.
ERICXFRESH
  • 1999 FORD ESCAPE
1999 Ford Escape Two Wheel Drive Automatic 93000 miles

Hey,
I just bought this car from my friend for 500 dollars.
I replaced the alternator, windshield wipers, tire rods, and changed the oil.
This is the first car I've owned, do you have any advice for me to keep it running in good condition.
ZACKMAN
Verify the year that your vehicle was manufactured. 2001 was the first year that Ford started selling Escape model.

I would first of all purchase a service manual for it such as Haynes 36022

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_escape36022Web_1.jpg

and follow the recommended/required maintenance for the mileage that you have. You may also want to ask your friend what has been done, maintenance-wise) to the vehicle lately.

Always follow the recommendation of what to be done or what part to be replaced. Maintain, don't wait until something break than scramble to fix.
DIBERK
  • 2000 FORD ESCAPE
2000 Ford Escape

I had my alternator replaced (with a new one) after my car wouldn't start and began clicking repeatedly when trying to turn it over. During my drive home from the mechanics my lights on the panel dimmed and the same clicking began when I tried to restart the egine. Was it the alternator after all?
It sounds like a dead battery. Was the battery tested? Was the alt tested before it was replaced?
DIBERK
Yes, the battery was tested and we took the vehicle back for a second check. This time we were told that the newly installed alternator was replaced with a faulty so once again they replaced it. So far, so good, but we will see. Thank you for your response.
That happens. Let me know if you have other questions in the future.

GUMBY4914775
  • 2002 FORD ESCAPE
What all do we have to remove to get alternator out and replace
Monday, November 19th, 2018 AT 6:06 PM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_561.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname2_142.jpg