ALTERNATOR AND BATTERY ARE GOOD BUT BATTERY LIGHT STAYS ON

MIGHTY MIKE
  • 2003 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR
I bought this vehicle as is. No lights were on the dash, drove it for about thirty minutes and suddenly all dash lights started to flicker on and off like crazy, barely made it home. I tried to start it ten minutes later but the battery was almost dead, just heard clicks. I checked the alternator which was bad, producing less than 4 volts. I replaced it with a rebuilt alternator producing maximum 13.4 volts and it fixed the charging problem. I checked the battery and it was good. Although the charging system is working, producing 13.4 volts, Now my battery light stays on and message reads "Check Charging System". Could it be that the rebuilt alternator is not producing enough voltage or is it something else? I checked all cables, cleaned battery posts, tightened all contacts and connections but it did not help, battery light is still on. Also, I get a message to check ADVTRAC, but I have no idea what that means. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Wednesday, October 5th, 2016 AT 4:07 AM

When you have the charging system code it needs to be cleared to stop the warning message for showing up here is a video to show you how.

https://youtu.be/ahK_eucFi-k

If you clear the codes and the warning comes back lets make sure the fusible links have power on both sides. Here is a guide and the alternator wiring diagrams to help you test and see how the system works.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Check the two fusible links in picture they should have battery voltage both sides. The problem may be the PCM but lets run some tests first. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find.
+3
Wednesday, October 5th, 2016 AT 6:39 AM
MIGHTY MIKE
Although I appreciate for your reply I'm not sure I understand. The alternator is definitely charging the battery and does not drain overnight but the battery light continues to stay on. Before spending money to test the fusible links, please advise If the alternator will still charge the battery with a faulty or blown out fusible link? Thanks.
-1
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 12:42 AM
It will charge if one link is still working. This maybe a poor connection at pcm.

There is a tsb on this to reprogram the pcm and check connections for being faulty but due to age of truck i'm not sure it will be taken care of so you will need to call a dealer about this. There is a sleeve and protective grease that needs to be installed.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 2:24 PM
MIGHTY MIKE
OK, now its starting to make sense. I was told a blown fusible link will trigger the battery light to come on and will not charge the battery. Based on what you are saying, if one of the fusible links is faulty it will cause the battery light to come on but will continue to charge the battery. If that's the case, I will need to start by checking the fusible links and take it from there. Can you tell me precisely where the links are located and how to test them. Can they be tested with a multimeter in the vehicle or is it necessary to remove them completely and then check both ends. If you have any images of this procedure it will be quite helpful. Thank you kindly for your help, I will let you know the outcome asap.
+2
Monday, October 10th, 2016 AT 3:19 AM
MIGHTY MIKE
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did notice a 5" rectangular plastic casing covering 2 gray wires wrapped up in electrical electrical tape and run between the battery and alternator one was burnt through so I replaced it that fixed the problem and I had to clear the codes thanks for the video. Thanks again I love this site.
Monday, October 10th, 2016 AT 3:58 AM
Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Cheers
-1
Monday, October 10th, 2016 AT 6:38 AM