ALTERNATOR AND BATTERY ARE GOOD BUT BATTERY LIGHT STAYS ON

MIGHTY MIKE
  • 2003 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR
I bought this vehicle as is. No lights were on the dash, drove it for about thirty minutes and suddenly all dash lights started to flicker on and off like crazy, barely made it home. I tried to start it ten minutes later but the battery was almost dead, just heard clicks. I checked the alternator which was bad, producing less than 4 volts. I replaced it with a rebuilt alternator producing maximum 13.4 volts and it fixed the charging problem. I checked the battery and it was good. Although the charging system is working, producing 13.4 volts, Now my battery light stays on and message reads "Check Charging System". Could it be that the rebuilt alternator is not producing enough voltage or is it something else? I checked all cables, cleaned battery posts, tightened all contacts and connections but it did not help, battery light is still on. Also, I get a message to check ADVTRAC, but I have no idea what that means. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Wednesday, October 5th, 2016 AT 4:07 AM

Check the two fusible links in picture they should have battery voltage both sides then if it still is doing it have a mechanic scan for codes as it may be the smart junction block.
Wednesday, October 5th, 2016 AT 6:39 AM
MIGHTY MIKE
Although I appreciate for your reply I'm not sure I understand. The alternator is definitely charging the battery and does not drain overnight but the battery light continues to stay on. Before spending money to test the fusible links, please advise If the alternator will still charge the battery with a faulty or blown out fusible link? Thanks.
-1
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 12:42 AM
It will charge if one link is still working. This may be a central junction box problem or a poor connections at pcm have a local pro check to see if power is coming from these areas as it may not be. There is a tsb on this to reprogram the pcm and check connections for being faulty but due to age of truck i'm not sure it will be taken care of so you will need to call a dealer about this. There is a sleeve and protective grease that needs to be installed. But it also has to be scanned for codes to see if certain codes are in memory because if they are not then it still could be the problem but would be a charge to fix it.
Sunday, October 9th, 2016 AT 2:24 PM
MIGHTY MIKE
OK, now its starting to make sense. I was told a blown fusible link will trigger the battery light to come on and will not charge the battery. Based on what you are saying, if one of the fusible links is faulty it will cause the battery light to come on but will continue to charge the battery. If that's the case, I will need to start by checking the fusible links and take it from there. Can you tell me precisely where the links are located and how to test them. Can they be tested with a multimeter in the vehicle or is it necessary to remove them completely and then check both ends. If you have any images of this procedure it will be quite helpful. Thank you kindly for your help, I will let you know the outcome asap.
+1
Monday, October 10th, 2016 AT 3:19 AM
MIGHTY MIKE
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did notice a 5" rectangular plastic casing covering 2 gray wires wrapped up in electrical electrical tape and run between the battery and alternator. Could that be the fusible link? If so, would unwrapping the electric tape reveal both ends of the fusible links? Thanks again.
Monday, October 10th, 2016 AT 3:58 AM
It probably is somebody probably took it out cause it was bad and to lazy to replace it. There are two there so make sure it's only one as it's just a piece of wire auto parts has the stuff.
Monday, October 10th, 2016 AT 6:38 AM