96 LUMINA WITH 3.1

1996 All Other Makes All Other Models

Bartman

February, 26, 2006 AT 12:58 AM

I have a 96 Lumina with the 3.1 engine. Recently I had the PVC valve replaced and the radiator flushed and refilled. After doing this I developed a radiator fluid leak. Also when the car gets up to temperature it acts almost as if it has a governor on the throttle. It will rev up to a certain level and then surge back and forth from that rpm to a little lower. I have read the other issues people have had with intake gaskets being the cause of the fluid leak but would that also cause the loss of power and higher RPMs? Any advice would be appreciated. I already got a quote on the intake gasket and they want $550 so I need to know. I did put in some stop leak and the leak seems to have gone away but still having the problem with the RPMs.

Bartman

February, 27, 2006 AT 1:32 AM

Anyone have any ideas?

mvannessjr

February, 27, 2006 AT 7:09 AM

Intake gasket is a possibility. I would get a bottle of throttle body cleaner and clean out the throttle body. Be careful with this stuff it IS highly flamable. Do not start the vehicle until most of it has evaporated. See if this helps first.

Bartman

February, 27, 2006 AT 2:57 PM

Sounds like a good idea. But seeing as the problem with the RPMs and the coolant leak started at the same time I am inclined to believe they are somehow related. Is this possible the RPM issue being related to the intake gasket.

renaldo

February, 28, 2006 AT 12:56 PM

Try checking the sensor on the intake because if there isn't enough air flow the rpm would do that and check if no water or liquid is on the sensor

renaldo

February, 28, 2006 AT 1:01 PM

I have a question my second fan on the radiator doesn't come on but when I open up the relay switch and touch the contact together the fan came on could this be a problem with the one of the heat sensor. I check the voltage and there isn't enough to kick in the relay but on the second relay it have the same amount of voltgage and the number 1 fan works just fine can someone help me on this

mechanic116

February, 28, 2006 AT 2:46 PM

Hmmm, have you also noticed a power loss that has conincided with this problem? Typically, when the intake gaskets on these motors fail, water sometimes finds its way to one of the intake PORTS and causes hydro-lock in the affect cylinder. Which can bend the connecting rod. I have seen this many times. It has all sorts of indications, just depends on what happened exactly. Do a compression test. If you find a weak cylinder (and you'll notice it right away), chances are its' been hydro-locked. Bad news. Good luck.

Bartman

March, 1, 2006 AT 1:23 AM

But with that would you only see the power loss once it gets up to operating temperature. Seems to me that if I had a bent rod the power loss would be apparent at all times which it isn't.

Bartman

April, 26, 2006 AT 5:59 PM

Well I am back. Got the intake gasket replaced and all seemed well. But the power loss problem is back. Seems like when the engine start to get up to temperature I will lose all mid-range power. It is only happening when the motor is getting close to normal operating temp tho. And when the problem rears it's ugly head the temp will quickly climb the rest of the way up to normal temp. Engine will rev fine while sitting in park or neutral but as soon as it comes under load it's like someone is cutting off the gas, it just won't rev. I am going to have it in to get sparks and fuel filter replaced soon but would appreciate it if you guys had any other ideas.

Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Fuel Pump Pressure Test