GEO METRO HAS NO POWER AND WILL NOT IDLE

1997 All Other Makes All Other Models

kevin8378

November, 10, 2006 AT 1:39 PM

1997 Geo Metro 1.0 140,000 miles. This car has no power. It will not idle unless I hold the peddle down a little. I can't get it to go over 65mph. If it does idle as soon as I turn on the lights, heater, or wipers ect, anything that will draw power it dies. There is also a pinging when I accelerate or go up an incline. I also have to keep it in each gear longer than I normally would before I shift. I have replaced the upper o2 sensor and the air temperature sensor. Also the spark plugs and cleaned the EGR valve. I replaced the fuel filter 20,000 miles ago. I have also noticed that the air filter is soaked with gas. My gas mileage has dropped dramatically also. I have checked the compression in the cylinders and found they are 150lbs, 125lbs, and 60lbs.

Jack42

November, 30, 2006 AT 11:26 AM

Sounds like the catyletic converter is plugged. Try loosening the exhaust flange at the exhaust manifold. It will be a little loud, but drive it and see.

geo_jak

August, 14, 2009 AT 12:25 AM

Just one tooth off and you get those symptoms.

But my bet too is on a clogged cat conv

or even a damaged (crushed) exhaust pipe. Lack of clearance for the intake of air to go out

baught a car like that for $89 once. The owner had drove over a cement parking block. Lol

JC

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe