RANGER IAC

2000 All Other Makes All Other Models

dan59

June, 9, 2006 AT 12:03 PM

I have a 2000 Ranger 4.0L V6. I've been told that my intermittant (lasts a couple weeks then corrects itself then happens again in a couple months) low idle problems are from a bad I.A.C.(Says it's sticking) They say it will cost $180 for the part and $100 for labour. Can this be removed and cleaned? Can I do this or atleast buy one and install it myself or is it something best left to a pro? The first few times it happened there was no " check engine" light but this last time the light came on.

dan59

June, 28, 2006 AT 7:35 AM

I have talked to numerous guys about this unit. This can and was removed and cleaned. It took me all of ten minutes to complete. One guy did it a year ago on his V6 F-150 and it still works fine so I'm hopeful. I simply removed the I.A.C. From the intake manifold by removing the two screws and unplugging the wires. Sprayed carb cleaner into the ports, let sit a couple minutes, used a small brush to clean the carbon, etc. Out. I did this a couple times and it looks like new inside. When I re-installed it on the engine. I dis-connected the positive terminal on the battery for a minute to clear the " check engine" light. Turned the key and the truck ran great. That was two weeks ago!

Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L