1994 Acura Legend Legend dies at a quarter tank of gas

MICKEYTL
  • 1994 ACURA LEGEND
I have a questions about my Acura Legend LS coupe:

My car holds a capacity of 16 gallons of fuel tank, but once I reach a quarter of a tank, it sometimes just dies when coming to a complete stop. But it always starts back up. It sometimes just shakes at idle, if it doesn't die. It still has about 2-3 gallons left in the tank. The fuel warning light doesn't even display yet. But when it's above a quarter tank of gas, it runs perfect. This has been a problem for 6 months now.

A few things that have been done to the car within the last 2 yrs.

Fuel pump, fuel sending unit, fuel filter, spark splugs, fuel injectors clean and some suspension work.

My mechanic is stating that I need a new fuel pump, but I already had a new pump installed 1.5 yr. Ago.
Let me know what the problem could be. Really want to get this problem resolved. Thanks.
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 6:04 PM

BUDDYCRAIGG
I believe that it is a problem in the tank as well.

While I don't completely agree that the pump is bad, I suspect that there is a problem with a hose or filter inside the tank that will show itself when the mechanic is in the process of replacing the pump.
Wednesday, July 22nd, 2009 AT 8:34 PM
MICKEYTL
To replaced the fuel pump, the mechanic just removed the old one with new one from inside the back trunk. I had a mechanic recently check back there, but he didn't mention anything about the filter or hose being defected. So do you think that the gas tank should be removed from the bottom for more inspection?

Also, what's the purpose of the strainer that's connected to fuel pump?

Let me know. Thanks.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 10:55 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
There is a little hose about 2 inches long that goes on the pump, inside the tank. I suspect that is where the problem is.

The strainer on the pump is to keep particles from being sucked into the pump and damaging it.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 11:06 AM
MICKEYTL
Ok, I'm going to have my uncle take the fuel pump out and replace the 2 inch hose and see what the outcome will be. Thanks.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 11:48 AM
KHLOW2008
Just something to add on.

It is important that the strainer is properly attached and not leaking. Any leaks would cause air to be sucked when the fuel level is not completely dry.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 12:07 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
You cant use just regular hose.
You shouldn't even use standard fuel injection hose.
You need hose that meets SAE 30R10 rating and is capable of being fully immersed in gas.

You can buy a 12" piece of it from Napa for about 15 bucks.
If the size you need is 8mm (5/16") then the part number is H-209
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 12:57 PM
MICKEYTL
Ok, I will definitely give that a try and see what happens. Thanks.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 9:21 PM
MICKEYTL
The fuel pump has be removed out of the car. The 2 inch hose and the strainer has been replaced with new ones. The fuel pump has been installed back into the car. I will test the car and should know the outcome in a few days. Will let you know. Later.
Monday, July 27th, 2009 AT 10:48 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
What kind of shape was the hose in?
Monday, July 27th, 2009 AT 10:59 AM
MICKEYTL
The hose was in pretty good shape, but I still went ahead and replaced it. So we'll see what happens in a few days.
Monday, July 27th, 2009 AT 10:27 PM
MICKEYTL
The hose and strainer was replaced when I had a half tank of gas a few days ago. My Legend did reach a quarter tank yesterday and it didn't stall or died on me when it usually does. I was able to drive about 30-35 miles after my fuel light came on. I'm gonna give it another test by filling up a full tank today and see if I still get the same outcome. I should know in about a week or so.. So far I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome. Later.
Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 10:33 AM
MICKEYTL
The car did reach a quarter tank of gas and it didn't die on me at all. The fuel light came on as it should, so the car is running perfect now. Thanks.

I do have one more question, if you don't mind.
Is it difficult to check the condition of the timing belt and how much would a service shop charge on average to perform the check? Let me know.
Sunday, August 9th, 2009 AT 8:50 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
I don't believe in visually checking a timing belt.
We humans do not have x-ray vision, we can not see if the fibers are breaking down inside the belt.

If you do not have any documentation of when the belt was last changed, then you are running on odds. You might as well go play black jack at a casino.

And since most honda built engines are interference engines. You can end up having a very expensive engine repair.
Sunday, August 9th, 2009 AT 9:09 PM