OIL DISAPPEARING

2000 Acura Integra

ajamani

February, 14, 2010 AT 4:52 PM

2000 Acura Integra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 125000 miles

Hello. Great site!

I have been noticing a disappearance of oil from the crankcase for the last 60k miles. I'm positive there are no leaks. I am also not burning blue smoke. I have not noticed any oil in the air filter or the coolant.

I also recently completed a full tune-up which included plugs, wires, cap/rotor, PCV, fuel filter and radiator hoses (upper + lower). In addition, I had the valve cover gasket and accompanying seals replaced.

The consumption is about 1 quart every 1000 miles. The oil light has never come on.

Could this be due to blowby from bad piston rings? Bad valve seals? If so, will this problem get worse over time?

Thanks everyone!

February, 16, 2010 AT 7:34 AM

Hi ajamani,

Thank you for the compliments.

The problem is most likely due to worn valve seals and it is going to get worse over time. If the valve seals for the intake are leaking more than the exhaust, there would be minimal blue smoke. Honda engines seldom have problems with the piston rings.

I believe the old plugs removed were fouled with carbon deposits.

ajamani

February, 17, 2010 AT 9:46 AM

Thanks for your reply. I'm guessing the valve seal job is a big one?

February, 17, 2010 AT 9:40 PM

Yes, the conventional way is to remove the cylinder head and perform a valve grinding and seal replacement job.

However it is possible to replace the valve seals without removal of the head but still requires the valve trains to be removed and uses regulated compressed air to hold the valve in position.

The job would stiil take quite some time.

Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L
Ignition System Test Guide