VALVE COVER IS LEAKING

1989 Acura Integra

serpentrod

July, 23, 2012 AT 8:50 AM

I have replaced my head gasket(mechanic did it) and now I noticed my valve cover is leaking, and I have a chocolate milky color coolant (btw changed in December of 2011)

Wrenchtech

July, 23, 2012 AT 10:01 AM

That would mean that either the head gasket job was done wrong, it was overheated again since then or there was further damage that was not found when the job was done the first time. Not a good thing in any case.

serpentrod

July, 23, 2012 AT 11:17 AM

My car is not overheating at all. No smoke from the muffler. No smell or anything. And what do you mean by further damage. Also could it be the radiator that needs to be replaced? As you can see it is an 89

djcl

July, 23, 2012 AT 11:18 AM

Have the cooling system presure tested. See where the coolant is getting in to the crank case

Wrenchtech

July, 23, 2012 AT 11:19 AM

If you have engine oil getting into the coolant, it usually means a bad head gasket or more likely, a cracked head.

serpentrod

July, 23, 2012 AT 11:21 AM

I also checked the sparkplugs and no oil or any liquid inside the cylinder. Also my car is on freeflown mode(as in I dont have a thermostat for coolant)

Wrenchtech

July, 23, 2012 AT 11:23 AM

He didn't day he was getting coolant into the oil. He stated he was getting oil into the coolant.

[quote]and I have a chocolate milky color coolant (btw changed in december of 2011)[/quote]

PS, you cannot run that engine with no thermostat. You need to put that back in ASAP.

serpentrod

July, 23, 2012 AT 11:25 AM

I understood what he said I just stated that I checked the spark plugs just in case too. And I have replaced the thermostat 2 times already and they break due to mechanics putting to much silicone around it.

July, 23, 2012 AT 12:18 PM

If the job was recent, there is a possibility the oil was residue from the head job. Try flushing the the system with an oil degreasing agent and retest.

As to the vave cover leakage, it is nothing serious. Just get the guy to reinstall the gasket correctly with a application of sealants at the corners of the gasket.

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma