Will not start

FERJUAREZ
  • 1999 ACURA INTEGRA
Four cylinder two wheel drive manual 180,000 miles

When I try to start my car, I smell gas. What would be the first assumption?
Friday, June 12th, 2009 AT 4:52 PM

F4I_GUY
That would tell me you either have a fuel leak, or you have to spark and all the fuel is just sitting in your exhaust and engine.

Check for leaks first, then check if you have spark.

Ignition coils and ICM's are common on these vehicles.
Friday, June 12th, 2009 AT 4:56 PM
NIGHTRYDER
  • 1999 ACURA INTEGRA
Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic 104,000 miles

I have not had any issues lately with my car so this kind of came out of the blue. I was driving it fine two days ago, but last night I went out to start it and heard the weirdest sound when it was trying to turn over. It was almost like it was whining at me. I tried it a few more times and it just kept chugging and giving that weird whining sound. Battery was full power and everything else came out alright. I have had starter issues before and it definitely was not the same sound.

I went under the hood and kept starting it with my remote start so I could examine the engine to try and locate the problem. After two to three times I tried gassing it and it chugged to life and successfully started every time after that. There was a brief burn smell and a bit of smoke haze after I did this, but it went away after that.

It had me worried so I checked a few things and found it to be drastically low on oil. I had just gotten an oil change three months ago and I have only driven 2,000 or so miles since then so I was a little confused by this. I went and got some oil and put three full quarts in and it never overflowed. I do not know how many it would have taken because I figured I would stop there.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong? I have not seen any oil stains on my driveway to indicate a leak, but I really do not feel like my engine should take three full quarts of oil. I would just like to know if that sound was directed to low oil or if it was just a coincidence and if anyone has had any experience with anything along these lines. Thanks for your help!

-David
Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 AT 5:24 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008
Hi NightRyder,

After the oil change, did you check the level?
After adding three quarts, what was the dipstick level?

If three quarts was needed, it means only 20% of oil was in crankcase.

When the oil level is very low, the piston could have been running dry resulting in compression losses. So when you tried to start, the engine was cranking faster than normal with low compression.

After cranking for some time, the oil is pumped up and provides some compression for the engine to start. The smoke is due to unburnt fuel in exhaust while cranking.

You need to pay attention to the oil level. Does the oil indicator work?
The oil could have been consumed by the engine through the rings and valve seals.
MIVIDANICA
  • 1999 ACURA INTEGRA
I Changed the battery and the alternator and now there is no power at all. No lights, no alarm, when I turn the key to start the car there is nothing happening. It does not even make any noise that is even trying to start.
TY ANDERSON
Check the main fuses it looks like you may have blown a fuse. Make sure the battery terminal clamps are tight. You should not be able to move them by hand. TY
MIVIDANICA
Thank you Ty, I already check the fuses inside and the battery is on tight. There are more fuses under the hood, how do I check those? If all of the fuses are fine, what else can it be? Thank you
TY ANDERSON
Yes, the larger amp rated fuses are under the hood? Checking the fuse is easier with a test light do you have access to one? I would check the 100 amp fuse under the hood and work down to the small fuses.
MIVIDANICA
And to check the larger amp fuses I would need to remove the clear plastic cover on top of them correct? Where would be a good place to ground the test light?
TY ANDERSON
Removing the clear plastic cover is the only way to test these fuses with a test light. It might be possible to see the metal no longer connected in the center of these types of fuses.
Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 AT 5:25 PM (Merged)
MIVIDANICA
Okay thank you, I just checked and all main fuses are just fine. But the test light did not light up? The fuses look fine but there is absolutely not power. It was a new battery but had a bigger amp alternator I installed without knowing. Could that wrong alternator have shorted my new battery?
TY ANDERSON
Are you experienced with a voltmeter or have access to one?
MIVIDANICA
No I am not and I do not have access to one. But I plan on testing the battery at Autozone tomorrow afternoon.
TY ANDERSON
Okay, let me know if you have any more questions.
I think you have an open circuit or the battery is completely drained?
RB7593
  • 1999 ACURA INTEGRA
Please help. All advice is welcomed.
Bought this car with a blown head gasket about a year ago. Long story short the block threads were stripped from previous owner so I replaced it with a new engine. Ran great at which point I replaced timing belt water pump and thermostat. Gradually the gas mileage started deteriorating, to where now my wife gets sixty miles to a full tank, with no hesitation at acceleration at all short term fuel trim is at positive ten and I also noticed an overheating at scan tool, but not cluster gauge. Before it would reach 203 degrees. Now it going to 208 degrees and sometimes 214 degrees, when fans turn on it brings it down to 196 degrees. I re-bled coolant and checked timing and still is on point. See some random very tiny bubbles at radiator neck but not constant. Am I having a head gasket failure? If it was a head gasket would not the temperature keep rising? Are all these symptoms related? I know ignition timing can also cause overheating and mine is a bit advanced I think. Where can I start to diagnose all of this in your experience.
HONDATECH1983
Sounds like a blown main fuse or a dead battery.
KEN
Hey RB7593,

It sounds like you have a plugged catalytic converter. Here is a guide that can help you fix the problem.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-a-catalytic-converter

Please run this test and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken
HONDATECH1983
Check main fuse.