3.0 V-6 AUTOMATIC- ERRATIC IDLING

1997 Acura CL

BLR32861

October, 20, 2007 AT 4:26 PM

I have a 1997 Acura 3.0 CL V-6 Automatic with approximately 176,000 miles. Bought car used in 2005 with approximately 136,000 miles. Check engine light was on with code P1491 EGR valve-taken to Acura dealer-had EGR valve replaced, ports cleaned. Significant repair history since ownership- replaced timing belt, distibutor cap, spark plugs and wires in February 06. Replaced starter in September 06. Rebuilt transmission in July 07. Check engine light came on again in October 07. On 10-18, my boyfriend checked out the engine to see if he could find out why the engine light was on. The battery was unplugged and subsequently the check engine light went out. We drove the car about 100 miles without incident. That same day, my daughter while driving car, experienced when idling, idles up and down between 1000 and 3000 rpm. When releasing brake pedal car will move on its own without applying gas pedal. Took to mechanic and code read P1491 again- is this possible? Stated it was " searching for idle" and stated that the EGR valve needed to be serviced that the ports were blocked. This doesn't seem logical to me. What else could the problem be? I drove the vehicle again on 10-19. Drove for awhile before this condition re-occured. Have since parked it awaiting EGR valve service on the 24th. Did we erase the actual problem code when the battery was disconnected? Could this P1491 code that showed up be from the previous incident in 2005? I'm thinking it's the Idle Air Control Valve (did some research). Anxiously awaiting a reply prior to the $500 repair.

Bruce Hunt

October, 21, 2007 AT 5:17 PM

It can be an IAC valve that would be needing cleaning and again it could be an EGR valve. I would be concerned about the economy of the vehicle. I say this because if this is the EGR you must be burning a little rich to being plugging the port. The EGR could be causing the surging of the engine as well. I question the replacement of the EGR. They can be taken off and cleaned.

lostinmars

October, 22, 2007 AT 10:02 PM

Yes its possible that the egr and upper intake is plugged again. This problem is extremely common and if the dealership tech didn't get it cleaned out good it can come back pretty quickly.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars