A/C compressor

SAM LABIB
  • 2000 MERCEDES BENZ C230
I am going to change my AC compressor and I am wondering how to release the pressure of the lines? And is it dangerous to do with out releasing the pressure?
Consider I am doing it at home I do have tools but no machine.
Thanks in advance.
Monday, May 22nd, 2017 AT 7:17 AM

STEVE W.
Is it dangerous to release 134A? Not really as long as you keep from letting it spray on you or breathing it. But it is illegal for a shop to do that, we have to use a machine.
I would ask a local shop if they would recover and recharge it when you are finished. That way you would also know if you have a leak as they will vacuum it prior to recharge. It will cost a bit but you will not need to guess on the recharge.

What was the issue with the old compressor? If it failed internally you might want a shop to do the entire job as compressor failure can mean that other components also need to be replaced to prevent the new compressor from being damaged, or the system from functioning correctly.
Monday, May 22nd, 2017 AT 8:09 AM
SAM LABIB
Thanks so much Steve for you help.
Actually after some digging I find out is my compressor is good it is electric issue because I powered the compressor with a jump box and it did work. But the problem now is I cannot find the compressor relay or fuse and I have been looking for it I cannot find it to test it or change it.
Do you have any idea which one is it or where? Or any diagram. Thanks a lot
Monday, May 22nd, 2017 AT 1:20 PM
STEVE W.
Neither exist on that car. Power for the compressor comes through the A/C control module itself.
Check fuses 20, 29, 30 and 38. They power the HVAC system. Check it with a gauge set to be sure it has a charge of refrigerant in it. After those you pretty much need the OEM style scan tool to be able to test the system because of the way it is designed.
Monday, May 22nd, 2017 AT 8:14 PM