Troubleshooting Air Conditioner Not Working

KEVINM01
  • 2003 MERCEDES BENZ C230
  • RWD

Hey, thanks. I did not know about your community, thanks for letting me know about it.

So, I've been trying to figure out what's going on with my AC, it's not blowing cold at all. Normally, this is not something I work on myself, but I took it to a oil change shop, they said there was no refrigerant in the system, and filled it up w 2oz and added some dye, but that's all they did. After that, the AC is still blowing hot air (not even a little bit cold).

I checked the Fuses 41, 51, and 30. Those fuses look fine. Are there other fuses to check? Do you know where the RELAY is for the Air Conditioner?

I was told I can check the error codes on my climate control console. I tried pressing the Defroster + Re-circulation buttons and then turning the car key to ON position (something I found an a forum). This seemed to do something, but I didn't see anything on the display. Do you know the procedure for this?

Tuesday, May 3rd, 2016 AT 10:28 AM

MHPAUTOS

You need to start the diagnostic sequence from the beginning, get a qualified A/C tech to set up a set of pressure gauges and see what pressures are in the system at this time, it's no good looking at electrics until we know what the system is doing at this time pressure wise.

Tuesday, May 3rd, 2016 AT 2:36 PM
KEVINM01

That's what they did in the first place. They AC tech checked the system/pressure, it was empty. So they filled it with freeon/oil and put dye in the system. However, despite that fact, the air conditioner is not blowing cold--not even a little bit. So what's next, isn't it time to look at the electronics? The fluid is in the system.

Tuesday, May 3rd, 2016 AT 7:02 PM
MHPAUTOS

Has it just all leaked out again? That's why I feel you need to get the pressures re checked and a black light inspection for signs of the leak detector dye you won't see the dye with out it

Tuesday, May 3rd, 2016 AT 7:16 PM
KEVINM01

I have a blacklight. I looked at the hoses and low/high pressure ports, the ac compressor, etc. With a black light and I don't see any leakage (green). Furthermore, I looked at the compressor while the car was running and the compressor runs, and the wheel spins, so I assume the compressor clutch works right? Also, other fans seem to be blowing too. What do I do now?

Tuesday, May 3rd, 2016 AT 8:03 PM
MHPAUTOS

If the comp is running the electrics will be ok, check that the blend doors are working, they may be stuck open and you are not getting the cooling you expect, is the comp cycling and is the pipe coming out of the compressor cool to touch?

Wednesday, May 4th, 2016 AT 12:52 AM
KEVINM01

I'll try to get under the vehicle and check if the pipes are cold. But the comp runs and the clutch engages when the climate control unit is turned on.

How do I check the blend doors?

Wednesday, May 4th, 2016 AT 5:49 PM
MHPAUTOS

May need a dealer to run a HVAC test, this will show if blend doors are working, generic scanners will not do this and I doubt that you will get a visual or hear them operate.

-1
Thursday, May 5th, 2016 AT 1:03 AM
KEVINM01

So I got a hold of a proper scanner, and ran the AC tests. I got these DTCs:
B15C8 Left Blending Air Flap Actuator Stiff or Blocked.
B15C8 Left and Right Footwell Flap Actuator is Stiff or Blocked.

I also had one for B1460 Blower Regulator, but after I reset the codes, that one went away.

So I have these questions:

If only the Left Blending Flap (LBF) has a problem, shouldn't I only be experiencing a problem on one side of the vehicle?

How come there is not even a TINY bit of cold coming from ANY vent? It's all hot.

I did a live data test, which confirmed the fault codes. The position of the Actuator Motor was not the same as specified by the Control Unit, during the live test on the LBF. Same thing was true for the position of the Left and Right Footwell Flap Actuator Motors (there was a huge difference between their positions and the values specified by the Control Unit).

There were some other results too. For example, according to the test, my Compressor is running at 70%. The Air Conditioning/Engine Fan runs at 40% when the AC unit is not on AUTO, but runs at 100% when AUTO is switched on.

Also, when the the Climate Control unit is on, but is on manual, then you can't really feel that much air coming through any of the vents, and the car is quieter. But when you turn on AUTO, the car gets louder, and more air is coming through the vents. But it's all hot air.

Anyways, what do you think is going on here? Again, there are mainly two things that are really bothering me:
1) The fact there's no cold air coming from any vent
2) The test seems to be suggesting a problem is ONLY at the footwell and left blender flap

Friday, May 6th, 2016 AT 7:58 PM
KEVINM01

Also, if my the air conditioning system is operating properly, what would be some normal values for the Coolant Temperature, Evaporator Temperature, and the Blower Motor Regulator? Also, how many PSI/bars should be in the system?

Friday, May 6th, 2016 AT 8:02 PM
MHPAUTOS

I will see if I can find a schematic of the A/C system, the stuck blend door may be the main heat feed and it is diverted internally, I will look into it.

Friday, May 6th, 2016 AT 11:22 PM