Fuel pump not working?

DAVE2984
  • 2009 FORD F-150
Hey guys my question is with my truck and the question is I was driving my truck when all the sudden stopped and a wrench lit up on the dash right away so I changed fuel pump still no go and module and still no go could it be the fuel relay but where is the interior fuel pump relay if their is any!Also we tried the old fuel pump directly to the battery and it works perfect so I don't understand what is the matter can you guys please help!
Saturday, June 27th, 2015 AT 7:05 PM

What tests led you to the fuel pump? If you just made a guess, that should be the last thing on the list.

Have you checked for spark, and have you had the diagnostic fault codes read and recorded?
Saturday, June 27th, 2015 AT 7:54 PM
DAVE2984
Ok I haven't run no tests on the computer yet but will but is their a main relay inside the truck like under the kick panel or something because my wife has a hyundia accent and had the same problem and their was a relay plug under the driver side that was corroded and that was the problem just wondering if their is one in my truck thx.
Sunday, June 28th, 2015 AT 4:24 PM
Every manufacturer does things differently, and Ford has always been WAY different than everyone else. You still didn't say if you checked for spark, but there's a better way to know this is not a fuel pump problem. You said a light on the dash turned on, and I'm guessing that was the Check Engine light. The fuel supply system is not monitored so a failed fuel pump will not turn the light on. There is some other problem that told the Engine Computer to turn the fuel pump, and most likely the ignition system, off. Reading and recording the diagnostic fault codes will indicate which circuit needs further diagnosis. You need a scanner or a code reader to read the codes. If you can get the truck to an auto parts store, the people at most of them will read the codes for you for free.
Monday, June 29th, 2015 AT 6:14 PM
PEARLHICKORY
  • 2003 FORD F-150
  • 150 MILES
Hi guys, Ive got an 03 Ford f150 Heritage truck V6, no power at fuel pump, checked all relays and fuses also, checked the inertia switch on ride side kicker panel was told needed voltage on both sides, no power there either, the old pump was bad, I bench tested it bad, , bought a new one, but cant get power to it, any ideas? Thanks.
Thursday, September 10th, 2020 AT 10:49 AM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Check the inertia switch for power key for only 2 seconds. Power will return cranking.

If not, back up to the relay and check for power at 2 terminals. The pcm grounds the relay.

If no power, possible ignition switch or fuse.

-1
PEARLHICKORY
Going to check right now, wasnt aware of the 2 sec window on inertia switch, I only found power at one terminal on relay, first time I checked.
PEARLHICKORY
Just checked the inertia switch, within 2 sec window and crank, no power going to recheck all my fuses and relays, You mentioned power on two terminals at relay?
-1
ASEMASTER6371
It look s like there are 2 fuses for the relay

PEARLHICKORY
I checked the 2 fuses and 1 relay all have power I understood im suppose to have power for two secs upon ignition ON at relay terminal 87open circ to 87close circ when grounding? NO power at inertia switch on two second ignition key on on test.
ASEMASTER6371
If you can energise the relay, see if it powers the pump.

PEARLHICKORY
About to check that, let me see if I can energize the relay, what about the inertia switch, and doesnt the ignition switch send power to pump also?
RICHTERGROUP
  • 2001 FORD F-150
Engine Mechanical problem 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

My sons 2001 F150 has no fuel pressure. I have checked the relay and fuse, inertia switch and filter. All are fine. I disconnected the fuel line from the filter and turned the ignition on and no fuel pumps out. I hear a brief noise in the tank as if the pump starts and then stops. My question. Is there any thing else I should try and/or check before dropping the tank and replacing the pump, which I had already replaced 7 months ago. I would really appreciate any help I can get.
Are you sure the filter isn't plugged? Also, (and don't get mad at this question) are you sure there is fuel in the tank?
ASEMASTER6371
Yep but you need power to the switch before it can send power anywhere
RICHTERGROUP
I blew through the filter with no restriction. I asked my son the same question regarding the gas, and yes, he filled it up 5 days ago and it now reads 3/4 tank. Should gas pump out with the hose disconnected and turning on the ignition?
PEARLHICKORY
I jumped off term 86 to 85 with pigtail, I did get 12 volt to pump plug, but unable to shut off voltage with key at pump plug, did have continuity to ground on black line, and constant 11.5 volts on yellow lead at pump plug, inertia switch jumped out also, .
Yes, it should spray out. I would have to double check, but it should produce around 50PSI. If you have power to the relay and it is working, either you have a broken wire to the pump, a bad connection at the pump, or the pump itself is bad.
ASEMASTER6371
I wish you had a scan tool as you could energise the fuel pump relay from the scanner to verify control circuits before condemning the pcm

RICHTERGROUP
Ok, I'll drop the tank and inspect the wiring, etc. Is there any way to test the pump prior to purchasing another one, just to make sure?
PEARLHICKORY
I have an OBDII scanner, can I I energize the relay from their? And verify operation of the pcm as You said, im grasping at straws now, I see even the cam position sensor can affect my pump power and the ignition switch too correct?

Sponsored links