Low beams don't work

CHRIS22222
  • 2006 FORD F-150
The brights come on fine but the low beams do not at all. I didn't notice any fuses blown and was suggested to replace the low beam relay. Is this a good solution? Any other ideas? I already tried replacing the bulbs with the same result. Please help. Thank you.
Tuesday, November 18th, 2014 AT 2:56 AM

MHPAUTOS

This can be the BCM which controls the lights but there are 8 fuses that run the system we should check those first here is the headlight wiring diagrams so you can see how the system works and which fuses to check with the fuse locations as well. I have also included the BCM replacement instructions also.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
Tuesday, November 18th, 2014 AT 3:25 AM
TOWGUY926
I had to replace the # 18 fuse in the center fuse box all fixed!
Wednesday, September 25th, 2019 AT 3:00 PM
LDAVIDL05
  • 2006 FORD F-150
I have a 2006 f150 xl. My brake lights does not work when my headlights are on. You press the brakes when the lights are on and the tail lights goe out.
Wednesday, September 25th, 2019 AT 3:00 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Bad grounds. Remove the rear sockets and clean the grounds.

LDAVIDL05
Are you talking about the bulb sockets? Or another part?
ASEMASTER6371
Yes, the sockets grounds.

BDUBZ55
  • 2006 FORD F-150
I have a 2006 F-150 and the Automatic headlights will no longer work now after I had to jump it when it wouldn't start. Any suggestions?
SATURNTECH9
The best thing you could do is get the code's from the security module and then I can get you a trouble tree for it.
DAVE'S BIG BACKYARD!
Headlight module got shorted out.
-1
BRUCE BUELTEMANN
  • 2001 FORD F-150
2001 Ford F-150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

My son's low beam on his headlights work fine. When he clicks on his high beams both head lights go out. The high beam light on his dash does come on, just no headlights. I checked the fuse and it was ok. I replaced both bulbs and have the same problem. From research it seems like it may be the headlight switch. If this is the case is this a job that can be done fairly easily?

Thank you, Bruce Bueltemann
Hi Bruce. Welcome to the forum. Not the headlight switch but the dimmer switch which is built into the multifunction (signal) switch. First remove the trim covers and check the electrical connector for signs of melting or overheated / burned / blackened terminals. The overheating can occur from resistance in the connections between the terminals and switch or between the internal switch contacts.

If the connector looks ok, grab a test light and look for a wire that has 12 volts when the headlight switch is turned on, a second one that turns on when the headlight switch is on AND the multifunction switch is on low beam, and a third wire that has 12 volts when switched to high beam. If you find all three of those wires, the switch is ok and we have to look further for a wiring problem. If you don't find a wire that becomes hot with the high beams on, suspect a defective dimmer switch, but to verify which wire you should be checking, I'll have to visit the Ford web site to get you that information.

Also, a lot of vehicles now involve a very unreliable computer to the headlight circuit. You may have a Front Electronic Module (FEM). Beats me why they went to this insanity as this adds a whole lot of complication and huge repair expense. In the meantime, also look for a high beam headlight relay under the hood. If there is one, switch it with a different identical one to see if the high beams work. That's a quick way to tell if the relay is defective.

SHYMISTY
  • 2002 FORD F-150
Low beam does not work on passenger side even with new bulb
Check fuse no.26 10amp in the central junction box-if okay test the multi-function switch
SHYMISTY
Where is the multi-function switch? I am a woman who knows a little about cars (or use to before they all became computer operated)
Its integrated with the turn signal switch
RON FORCEY
  • 2002 FORD F-150
Headlights go in parking light position but not dash, tail, or parking lights. Headlights stay on in headlight position but still no other lights. Headlights won't go out in off position, I had to remove the low beam fuses. After putting fuses back in headlights would go out, but still no other lights. There is no auto light on this truck.
Check the headlight switch itself. It supplies power to all the lights you mentioned.
RON FORCEY
No good I switched out a different switch from another truck and got same results.
PHANTOM111
  • 1998 FORD F-150
No heater. Head lights on no dash lights. Head lights off dash lights on. Air bag light on all the time. 4 way flasher lights on all the time no blinking just on. High beam light on when light are on. Turn hight beams on the light goes off. Checked all fuses no problems there. Any suggestions its a 1998 ford f150 4x4 standard where is the power dist box on the ford f 150
Wednesday, September 25th, 2019 AT 3:01 PM (Merged)
BILLYMAC
Normally this is a prob with the power distribution box. I have seen this twice with the same truck.
You should be able to find one in a junkyard pretty reasonable. However new through ford a cpl hundred bucks. I would go with used.

Billymac