2006 Town & Country Acceleration chugging issues

2006 TC
  • 2006 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
Hi, I have a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country with 69,000 miles on it and it has had an engine light on for about 3 weeks wit no apparent issues driving the vehicle. Today I started it up and it was chugging at idle and still chugging while I gave it more acceleration, after about 1 minute the idle smoothed out and appeared normal at 1st until I started driving. As I drove the vehicle at low acceleration speeds it appeared ok but as I gave it more acceleration it starts this chugging again as if it was starving for air. As I drove it some more I could get up to the speed limit around 45 with light acceleration with no apparent issues but the minute I give it more acceleration (1/2 pedal) it starts this chugging. I have parked the vehicle until I figure out what direction to look. Any help is much appreciated.
Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 5:02 AM

TAKE THAT PUPPY TO A POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORE

THEY WILL USUALLY CODE IT FOR FREE

THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF YOUR DIAGNOSIS

GET THE EXACT CODE LETTERS AND NUMBERS THEY COME UP WITH AND RETURN HERE---NOT "WHAT THEY THINK IS WRONG"

-1
Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 5:06 AM
He is right. Without the codes, it becomes a guessing game.
-1
Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 5:08 AM
2006 TC
Thanks guys - I will do that tomorrow morning and return here. Thank you again.
-1
Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 5:18 AM
Let us know what you find. Also, I noticed you didn't say the check engine light was on. Is it? Also, you may need to check fuel pump pressure.
Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 5:21 AM
We have directions and a video to explain how to check fuel pressure, the regulator. Let us know which direction you want to go. If the check engine light isn't on, you may not have trouble codes stored at this point. Also, after driving it, take a look at the catalytic converter to see if it glowing red hot which would indicate it is plugged.
Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 5:22 AM
2006 TC
Ok great - I will look at the catalytic converter tomorrow and yes the engine light is on and has been for about 3 weeks. I disconnected the battery about 3 weeks ago and a couple of days later it went off for a few days until I was coming off the expressway on a circular exit ramp and the engine light came back on. This happened about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I started up the car to move it to another parking spot and there were no signs of this chugging issue until today. Thank you
Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 5:30 AM
Keep us updated, and we'll try to walk you through what needs done.
Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 5:31 AM
2006 TC
Hi, Ok I received the codes - P0301 and P0420
Both point to #1 misfire but I do not think this is the case since it has a smooth idle and acceleration. The P0420 does point to a Catalyst efficiency low-bank which could be the oxygen sensor monitor in the converter but also the catalytic converter could be getting plugged. Since this vehicle goes through an enormous amount of oil and has since I bought it at 31K I am leaning toward a oxygen sensor. An example is that it goes through a gallon of synthetic oil every 2 months or so. There are no oil leaks anywhere so it is going through the engine and I am sure gumming up things. At this point I am thinking of trading it in this week if possible. I bought an extended warranty that has since ran out but thankfully it was in force since I had a front and rear air conditioning leak that need repair, a full steering rack replacement, some electrical issue that the warranty did not cover so I complained to the dealer since it had only 40K miles on it and the replaced the part for only $38 and now this issue all at only 69.040 miles. WOW what s in store for me next. I truly appreciate your help and will not be fixing this issue, the dealer can before they sell it overseas or scrap it. Thank you again.
+1
Tuesday, December 27th, 2011 AT 7:12 PM