Will Not Crank-No Clicking

JDL1985
  • 2005 KIA SORENTO
Won't start, doesn't make any noise at all, no clicking sounds, headlights are bright, radio on, etc. Has not started a few times in the past few days, doesn't do anything when you turn the key over - no noises at all. If you wait a little bit, it would start up. One time when it didn't start a couple of days ago - I waited a few minutes and it crank up - but acted like it was still trying to crank. Now it won't turn over at all. What might it be? The Starter? Thanks.
Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 12:46 AM

SATURNTECH9
Could be the starter have you had the battery and alternator tested?Also made sure the battery cables are clean and tight?. It does sounds like the starter but to be sure lets use a test light to see if there is power at he trigger wire of the starter.

Check this guide out it will show you how to check the starter.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 2:07 AM
JDL1985
Update. Headlights, fog lights, etc are bright, when you try to turn it over, the headlights go completely out - not really dimmed, seem like they just go out. Fog lights, parking lights, etc. Stay same brightness. Battery cables are clean and tight - battery is supposed to be new, has 02/11 sticker on it - But it is a 'cheap' battery. They installed it when I bought it used. I thought we would take the battery off & take it to have it tested before I had it towed to the mechanic. Any other suggestions?
+2
Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 2:47 AM
SATURNTECH9
It sure sounds like the starter what came of the test you did? Go to the starter the large black wire should have constant battery voltage then the smaller red wire should have battery voltage when turning the key to the start position. The wires are tight and thats what you have then your looking at a bad starter. This guide will give you an idea on how to change the starter.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-starter-motor

Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 2:58 AM
JDL1985
Thanks for your help. My son is taking the battery off this morning & taking it to be tested. I will keep you posted. They said the battery was OK, 100% charged. So we took a chance and did the starter and wow it worked I cant believe it I fixed my own car thanks 2carpros!
Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 1:45 PM
SATURNTECH9
Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help

Cheers
Sunday, August 28th, 2016 AT 7:48 AM