2005 KIA SORENTO WILL NOT CRANK-NO CLICKING

• jdl1985
  • 2005 Kia Sorento

2005 Kia Sorento - Won't start, doesn't make any noise at all, no clicking sounds, headlights are bright, radio on, etc. Has not started a few times in the past few days, doesn't do anything when you turn the key over - no noises at all. If you wait a little bit, it would start up. One time when it didn't start a couple of days ago - I waited a few minutes and it crunk up - but acted like it was still trying to crank. Now it won't turn over at all. What might it be? The Starter? Thanks.

Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 12:46 AM

• saturntech9

Could be the starter have you had the battery and alternator tested?Also made sure the battery cables are clean and tight?Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

-1
Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 2:07 AM
  • jdl1985

Update. Headlights, fog lights, etc are bright, when you try to turn it over, the headlights go completely out - not really dimmed, seem like they just go out. Fog lights, parking lights, etc. Stay same brightness. Battery cables are clean and tight - battery is supposed to be new, has 02/11 sticker on it - But it is a 'cheap' battery. They installed it when I bought it used. I thought we would take the battery off & take it to have it tested before I had it towed to the mechanic. Any other suggestions?

Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 2:47 AM
  • saturntech9

Have the battery tested and get a multimeter and I will help you trouble shoot it.

Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 2:58 AM
  • jdl1985

Thanks for your help. My son is taking the battery off this morning & taking it to be tested. I will keep you posted.

Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 1:45 PM
  • jdl1985

They said the battery was OK, 100% charged. What do we need to try next? It's in a store parking lot - I'll have to get it towed today if I can't get it started. Thanks for your help.

Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 3:11 PM
  • saturntech9

Go to the starter the large black wire should have constant battery voltage then the smaller red wire should have battery voltage when turning the key to the start position. The wires are tight and thats what you have then your looking at a bad starter.

-1
Thursday, July 14th, 2011 AT 3:59 PM
  • Kadahfi Newforce

Clicking noise under fuse box under hood

Saturday, August 27th, 2016 AT 11:20 PM
  • saturntech9

Your going to have to start your own question and list more of a explanation with make model year engine size etc.

Sunday, August 28th, 2016 AT 7:48 AM