Brake lights not working

HENDRIX09
  • 2005 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
They don't work when pressing pedal. I replaced fuse and stop switch still nothing hazards work back ups work blinkers. And the interior lights turn on and off randomly
Thursday, August 7th, 2014 AT 4:50 AM

KEN

There is a brake light control relay that goes out, here is a wiring diagram that will show you where it is and a guide on how to test it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Here are the relay locations (below)

Please run this test and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken
Wednesday, March 15th, 2017 AT 1:20 PM
ANNI369
  • 2004 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
My brake lights stopped working, I checked the fuse, and replaced it, but they still dont work. All other lights are fine. What might be done about this?
+1
Wednesday, March 15th, 2017 AT 1:21 PM (Merged)
MERLIN2021
Is the "cyclops" working? High mount brake light? If no then check the stop light switch on the brake pedal arm, if yes, check the multifunction switch(blinker).
-2
JTTLR
I had the exact same problem. If you go to an auto part store and ask for a brake light switch they will have one. Its about 12 bucks. Take to a dealer ship and ask them to put it in. I did and they done it for free. Good luck
-1
QUINTON WHITE
  • 1995 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
My driver side break lights are not working. I put in new bulbs, still does not work what could it be?
WRENCHTECH
It is probably a bad socket, but you need to test for power and ground arriving before concluding that.
NANCY T
  • 1999 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
My daughters 99 GC jeep will not start It has a new battery, new battery cables. Gages jump all over the place so I read if you take off the neg cable for a few minutes it might help but it didn't I tried jumping it nothing but if I tap the pos. Side of the battery it acts like it will start. I removed and cleaned that cable and terminal still will not start. Also her rear pass. Brake light does not work again bulb was blown so I replaced it could it be a short in the brake wiring?
Does it have a "squeezer dealee" connecting the cable to the clamp? Clean it too! Sometimes you can flip, the top of the squeezer over, and get more pressure on the cable

as for the rear lighting, might not be burned out, lots of problems with the "twisty light holders"---on the holder, sorta bend the brass contact out some more.A little sanding on the circle, of the tail light side, smear on a little "dielectric grease". Presto, your fixed. Might as well do 'em all. It's only a matter of time!

TANGO307
  • 2000 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
  • AWD
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 158455 miles

Brake light works fine when brakes applied. Tail light works fine when turned on. With lights on and apply brakes, tail light goes out and no brake light. Only on left side, right side works well and middle lbrake light on top of lift gate works fine.
BLUELIGHTNIN6
This is a grounding issue, you will want to inspect ground wiring at both taillight assemblies to ensure wiring is connected properly and not dirty or damaged.
  • 2002 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
I've been told that my brake light doesn't work with the headlights on because of a broken ground wire. How do I repair the ground wire?
You find where it's broken first. That determines how it's repaired. You might install a new terminal, splice a cut wire, or if it's severely corroded, run a new wire. If the wire is corroded off a socket, replacing the entire socket is usually easiest. Some vehicles use printed circuits on the lamp housings and those can develop a hairline crack. Some can be repaired. Some have to be replaced.
ROBIN MCCOY
  • 2000 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE
  • AWD
  • 2,000,000 MILES
No brakes lights.
-1
Wednesday, March 15th, 2017 AT 1:22 PM (Merged)
Could you provide some hints or observations to analyze? Have you checked the fuses? Brake light switch? Do the other lights work correctly? Do you have cruise control? If so, does it work and does it cancel when you tap the brake pedal?