Battery light on

RLAW91
  • 2005 FORD FOCUS
About a month ago, I noticed that my battery light on my dashboard came on. Within a few days, I felt the car slowly losing power and eventually once even shut off. I took it to a local mechanic and had it tested, for them to say that I had no issues, but my battery was testing on the lower side so they recommend that I replace it, which I did. However, a few days later my car started doing the same thing (losing power, battery light still on), so I returned to the mechanic where they ended up having to replace my alternator as well. Now, a few weeks later, my battery light still comes on and I still feel as if my car isn't using as much power as it should, especially when I'm idle or at a stop. The car even sputters sometimes and has an intention vibration whenever I'm sitting still (in park or in drive). PLEASE HELP.
Wednesday, March 5th, 2014 AT 10:19 AM

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
It sounds like the alternator was your problem the entire time and the rebuilt one they installed has gone bad, I would replace it with a Motorcraft unit here is a guide to walk you through the steps and instructions for your can in the diagrams below.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-alternator

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
+2
Wednesday, March 5th, 2014 AT 5:53 PM
PROSPECTOR01
Thank you for this post I had this problem had to get a motorcraft unit from Amazon for $143.00 fixed it! I love this site.
Wednesday, July 31st, 2019 AT 4:45 PM
BDOYLE53
  • 2005 FORD FOCUS
My battery light keeps coming on, I have checked belts, battery and all connections. Next step is my alternator. How can I check it without having to go completly through the process of removing it and then finding out it is ok?
+1
Wednesday, July 31st, 2019 AT 4:46 PM (Merged)
DAVE H
Generator On-Vehicle Tests - Load Test
Switch the tester to the ammeter function.
Connect the positive and negative leads of the tester to the corresponding battery terminals.
Connect the current probe to the generator B+ output terminal, circuit 30-BA6 (RD).
With the engine running at approximately 2,000 RPM, adjust the tester load bank to determine the output of the generator. Generator output should be greater than the graph shown below in order to pass this test. If the test is passed, refer back to the pinpoint test or GO to SYMPTOM CHART. If the test is not passed, install a new generator. For additional information, refer to GENERATOR AND REGULATOR .
Fig. 11: Generator Output Graph
Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_focus_2.jpg

Generator On-Vehicle Tests - No Load Test
Switch the tester to the voltmeter function.
Connect the voltmeter positive lead to the generator B+ terminal, circuit 30-BA6 (RD) and the negative lead to ground.
Turn all electrical accessories off.
With the engine running at approximately 2,000 RPM, check the generator output voltage. The voltage should be between 13.0 and 15.0 volts in order to pass this test. If the test is passed, refer back to the pinpoint test or GO to SYMPTOM CHART. If the test is not passed, install a new generator.
DAVIDCHIARAVALLI
  • 2004 FORD FOCUS
I have a ford focus zx5 2004. My engine shook then my oil light came on and went to the red. Then my check engine light came on and my battery light came on. Whats wrong with my car?
RIVERMIKERAT
Does the engine still run? Your engine shaking tells me something internal might have broken, or a motor mount broke. Have the computer scanned for codes in the memory. Use a voltmeter to check the voltage in the battery. Have the battery load tested to see if it holds a charge. The oil light being on normally means that the sensor is not detecting oil pressure. Make sure there is oil in it. Remove the valve cover and crank the engine over. You should see oil flowing on top of the cylinder head. No oil flow means a faulty oil pump.
BKHOMEMAKER
  • 2003 FORD FOCUS
2003 ford focus se starts and runs but check engine light, and sometimes battery light comes on. A mechanic want to be stated it needs a head gasket but I think it may need more than that, from what I stated what do you think. Tired of driving Mom's car

BKL
DRCRANKNWRENCH
If the check enginne light is on, go to another mechanic and have them use an On-Board Diagnostid, (OBD) reader which will tell the mechanic the error codes that are triggering the check engine light.
As far as the battery light, the diagnostic might bring an error code that explains that as well.
As far as the head gasket, I would need to know why he thinks it needs it. Usually things like poor performance, smoke in the exhaust and milky engine oil are signs of a leaking head gasket.

Getting the error codes from an OBD will gi ve you more insight into the problems that the car has.
LOULA28
  • 2001 FORD FOCUS
  • AWD
I need some expertise advice. Ok so heres whats up. My emissions light came on and stayed on for awhile, now it has gone off. It also idles really rough and also gets hot when is running for any long period of time. AND NOW, the battery light keeps coming on and off and almost died on me tonight!Any thoughts
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Get the alternator charge rate checked, and make sure that you tell them that It is an intermittent problem, also get a scan done to check for any set fault codes, start here.

MARIE CHISHOLM
  • 2001 FORD FOCUS
2001 Ford Focus Front Wheel Drive Manual

iv, e got ford focus zetec tddi, battery light is on constant, iv, e had alternator reconned
BLUELIGHTNIN6
If battery light in dash is on then need to have battery and alternator tested and check all charging system wiring to ensure its tight and clean properly.
BINGAS
  • 2002 FORD FOCUS
  • 58 MILES
Battery lite on alt charging at 14.5volts
If the battery is going dead, check fuseable link. If it isn't going dead, check alternator diodes. If that is good, check for body ground issues. Another circuit may have lost its ground and be grounding through that light turning it on.
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2001 FORD FOCUS
I have a 2001 ford focus zts, drove my care just fine, went to leave my mothers house and my battery light came one and my power sterring went out. I pulled over to the gas station and the power sterring is still full my battery is new, decided to drive back over to my mothers house and on my way around the corner my battery light came on again power sterring was still out and my car started to over heat. Any ideas on what it could be?
Thursday, August 1st, 2019 AT 10:37 AM (Merged)
Check fuse in underhood fuse box first. Then have the charging system checked, it may be belt slippage which by the way should be replaced along with tensioner every 60,000 miles. The power steering will need to see if pump is working so a pro will need to check that.

Sponsored links