I HAVE A 2004 3

2004 Saturn Vue

boseman13

I have a 2004, 3.5 liter V6, automatic, AWD Vue. In the morning when it is cold out I put it in drive and it goes into gear fine. When I start to drive it seems to have a hard or abnormal shift. After that it goes through the gears just fine. I am wondering what would cause this? I recently bought it and don't know when the fluid was last changed.

thanks

saturntech9

You could be having the beginning of a transmission failure. What color is the transmission fluid an how does it smell?Also is the fluid full?

boseman13

How do you check the transmission fluid? I looked under the hood and didn't see a dipstick for checking fluid level. I am thinking about bringing it to a garage to have the fluid flushed. Is is possible to do it yourself on the Vue's

thanks

saturntech9

Yeah there is a dipstick down real low on the right side of the engine.I believe its checked idling in park.I wouldn't flush it though I don't believe in those. You just have to be careful filling them. If you pull the wrong plug you have to take the transmission out and apart to fix your error.

boseman13

I'm worried now. I thought the 4 cyl. Engines were the ones with the bad transmissions. Is there a certain mileage range that the transmissions on the V6's tend to go out?

Also, so I don't have to have the transmission flushed, but just add fluid myself you're saying?

saturntech9

January, 18, 2013 AT 3:05 AM

The 6 cyl Honda transmissions can still have a problem what if the fluid was never changed or the transmission is just having a failure. The fluid should have been change at 50,000 miles we don't know if it was. If you don't change the fluid in most Hondas like your supposed too transmission is toast.I have seen tons of them burned up from lack of maintaince. Yeah I was talking about you changing the fluid yourself if you wanted too. Let's first see what the fluid looks and smells like pull the stick and find out. Also see if there is any codes in the computer?

boseman13

Thats good to know. I will check the Carfax report to see if any fluid change was performed. How do I find out about computer codes?

saturntech9

The car facts isn't always going to show all work done not all places report to car facts. See what the color smell and fluid level looks like?Also for codes if you don't live in California go to a auto parts and have them scan for codes. Let me know the exact code numbers not code descriptions?

boseman13

Is a code going to show up even though the check engine light is not on?

saturntech9

Yes I found plenty of codes where people need mentioned the light on.

boseman13

I checked the Carfax report for any indication of a fluid change. The closest thing to it says "Maintenance inspection completed". So I don't know if the fluid was changed.

I went to Autozone and had them scan for codes. Eight different codes showed up. Here they are: P0300
P0301
P0302
P0303
P0304
P0305
P0306
P0453

thanks

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250