MY ION LEVEL3 WILL NOT START

• riohudson
  • 2004 Saturn Ion

My Ion Level3 will not start. After reading several things on this site, I have possibly concluded that my no start problem may be the pass lock system, since the security light is on during no starts. I dont know what the pass lock system is or the bodu control module that needs to be scanned. Also the dash info area shows PWR STR, and COOLANT. Have any advice for me?

Tuesday, November 13th, 2012 AT 12:04 AM

• riohudson

Also I have had a remote start on this car for over a year now with no trouble til now.

Tuesday, November 13th, 2012 AT 4:17 AM
  • saturntech9

The pass lock system is the anti theft system the car came with to prevent people from stealing your car. The most common reason for the no start with the security light on and no starts on that car is a bad ignition switch. The body control module is the computer that runs your power locks keyless entry dome light stores the mileage etc. As far as checking that for codes you would have to get a repair shop with a advanced scan tool to see what codes you had a diyer scan tool cant read the body control module. If you have a code B2960 and or B3033 in the body control module then you have a bad ignition switch. There easy to replace and cheap to buy also for the lights check to see if the coolant level is low for the coolant light for the power steering light does your power steering work?

Tuesday, November 13th, 2012 AT 4:34 AM
  • riohudson

The power steering does work with no trouble ever, but I have read on here about a recall for the power steering on this model. I have two keys for this car, one is very difficult to turn in the ignition and the other works after 2 or 3 tries. Could this be because of the ignition switch being bad? Coolent level is completely full.

Tuesday, November 13th, 2012 AT 1:17 PM
  • saturntech9

Not turning thats the key cylinder not ignition switch for that I would try having a new key made from the vin number at the dealer not having the the old key copied. If that doesnt work then. You will need a new key cylinder. Also with the steering recall your thinking of the symptoms are a sudden loss of power steering while driving. You need to have your power steering control module scanned for codes which again a diyer scan tool cant read. Your best bet is to have the whole car scanned for codes and write down all the codes you the exact code numbers you have not code descriptions and let me know what they are.

Tuesday, November 13th, 2012 AT 5:17 PM
  • riohudson

OK Thanks. I will have it scanned and get back to you.

Tuesday, November 13th, 2012 AT 7:39 PM
  • saturntech9

Alright keep me posted.

Tuesday, November 13th, 2012 AT 8:09 PM
  • riohudson

Can you recomend any certain tools I will need to take out the ignition switch? I can't tell what screws are in it and can't get to them.

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 AT 10:25 PM
  • saturntech9

Have you gotten the ignition shroud off yet?If so I thinks a torx 20 it could be 25 its been a couple years since I have changed them. You can get a 1/4" drive torx socket and use your hand to spin the socket and or some needle nose pliers.

Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 AT 10:47 PM
  • riohudson

OK, I have put in the new ignition switch, did thge steps to relearn the pass code, the security light does not stay on anymore, but the car still does nothing when you turn the key to start it.

Thursday, November 15th, 2012 AT 1:06 AM
  • saturntech9

So did you replace the switch?

Thursday, November 15th, 2012 AT 7:32 AM