2004 Pontiac Aztek Radiator Fan works when A/C on but not w

BBKING
  • 2004 PONTIAC AZTEK
I recently noticed my vehicle over heating while in city traffic. Vehicle does not overheat at highway speeds. I do mostly highway driving so do not know how long this has been a problem. Coolant levels are fine in both the radiator and the reserve. The two radiator fans run when I have the A/C on but fail to run when the A/C is off. I have replaced the coolant temp sensor. I have replaced one of the fan relays. The other two fan relays are fine. The fuses are fine. All wiring is in good shape. When I drive in stop and go traffic I run the A/C as a temporary fix until I can fix the problem. I have checked with multiple part supply stores and no one can figure it out. Thank you in advanced.
Friday, October 15th, 2010 AT 4:07 PM

Maybe your not waiting long enough for the fans to cycle on? What does the temp gage show? Other than the ac, there is no fan request, as far as coolant, unless the coolant temp exceeds 223 degrees. There is also a hot temp indicator on the dash, that won't come on unless coolant temp exceeds 262 degrees. According to my info.
Friday, October 15th, 2010 AT 4:20 PM
BBKING
The temp gage on the dash usually sits in about the middle, recently it has reached the half hash mark prior to the red. Based on the temp gage on the dash it is hot. The service engine soon light or other warning lights have not come on. I have intentionally let the car get hot to see if the fan would come on and nothing ever happened.
+1
Friday, October 15th, 2010 AT 4:28 PM
WGERBICK
Bbking. Did you ever figure out what was causing this issue in you Aztek? I appear to have the same issue going on except the AC seems to make my temp run even higher
Thursday, July 7th, 2011 AT 6:07 PM
If the person doesn't answer, you can make a new post. More people will see it.
-1
Thursday, July 7th, 2011 AT 6:12 PM
JOHNED55
Aztek Radiator Fan Works When A C On But Not W
Engine Cooling problem
2004 Pontiac Aztek 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

I recently noticed my vehicle over heating while in city traffic. Vehicle does not overheat at highway speeds. I do mostly highway driving so do not know how long this has been a problem. Coolant levels are fine in both the radiator and the reserve. The two radiator fans run when I have the A/C on but fail to run when the A/C is off. I have replaced the coolant temp sensor. I have replaced one of the fan relays. The other two fan relays are fine. The fuses are fine. All wiring is in good shape. When I drive in stop and go traffic I run the A/C as a temporary fix until I can fix the problem. I have checked with multiple part supply stores and no one can figure it out. Thank you in advanced. Please note that the thermustat was replace too.
Sunday, September 11th, 2011 AT 2:39 AM
How hot does it get, temp wise, degrees F. Are there any applicable trouble codes? My info says the bcm sends signal to pcm to operate the fans. If bcm has a problem, the pcm can operate the fans by itself.
Sunday, September 11th, 2011 AT 3:05 PM