Both radiator fans stopped working/ fan relay

DHORNB1
  • 2004 NISSAN MAXIMA

I have a '04 Nissan Maxima. Still trying to isolate the following problem:

The car started overheating at idle and the A/C started blowing warm air at idle also. I found that BOTH radiator/ac fans are not working. My local Nissan dealership suggested that the fan assembly could be bad but I find it hard to believe that BOTH fan motors went bad at the same time. I started thinking the problem could be a fuse or relay.

I looked up a diagram and I found that there are 3 cooling fan relays. Why are there 3 relays to only 2 fans? Whats the 3rd relay for? Do you think this is the likely problem? I'd figured i'd start with the relay since it is the easiest.

thanks for your help!

Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 2:19 PM

KHLOW2008

Start by testing the fan motors first. Quite often when 1 fan fails, it is hardly noticed until the second fails.

Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 2:37 PM
DHORNB1

I wouldnt even know where to begin on testing the motors. I have no voltmeter or anything, never really had to use one before & I doubt I would know how to use one even if I had one handy.

+1
Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 2:52 PM
KHLOW2008

For electrical testings you would at least need a test light or DVOM. To test the fans, disconnect the fan connectors and ground one terminal while applying battery voltage to the other but this fan should have 4 terminals so you might make a mess out of it.

Get a DVOM or testlight first because to test the fuses or relays and their terminals you need to know if battery voltage is present.

+2
Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 3:56 PM
DHORNB1

Will give it a shot, thanks!

+2
Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 5:42 PM
KHLOW2008

Let me know if you need any assiatance on how to go about.

+2
Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 5:48 PM