BOTH RADIATOR FANS STOPPED WORKING/ FAN RELAY

2004 Nissan Maxima

dhornb1

September, 7, 2012 AT 2:19 PM

I have a '04 Nissan Maxima. Still trying to isolate the following problem:

The car started overheating at idle and the A/C started blowing warm air at idle also. I found that BOTH radiator/ac fans are not working. My local Nissan dealership suggested that the fan assembly could be bad but I find it hard to believe that BOTH fan motors went bad at the same time. I started thinking the problem could be a fuse or relay.

I looked up a diagram and I found that there are 3 cooling fan relays. Why are there 3 relays to only 2 fans? Whats the 3rd relay for? Do you think this is the likely problem? I'd figured i'd start with the relay since it is the easiest.

thanks for your help!

September, 7, 2012 AT 2:37 PM

Start by testing the fan motors first. Quite often when 1 fan fails, it is hardly noticed until the second fails.

dhornb1

September, 7, 2012 AT 2:52 PM

I wouldnt even know where to begin on testing the motors. I have no voltmeter or anything, never really had to use one before & I doubt I would know how to use one even if I had one handy.

September, 7, 2012 AT 3:56 PM

For electrical testings you would at least need a test light or DVOM. To test the fans, disconnect the fan connectors and ground one terminal while applying battery voltage to the other but this fan should have 4 terminals so you might make a mess out of it.

Get a DVOM or testlight first because to test the fuses or relays and their terminals you need to know if battery voltage is present.

dhornb1

September, 7, 2012 AT 5:42 PM

Will give it a shot, thanks!

September, 7, 2012 AT 5:48 PM

Let me know if you need any assiatance on how to go about.

Replace Heater Core
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX
Radiator Fluid Flush and Fill Ford Explorer
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser