Aviator - Power Window Controls and Radio went dead at the same time for no reason!

SUKHOI27
  • 2004 LINCOLN AVIATOR

2004 Lincoln Aviator was parked outside for an hour (78 degrees, no rain) and when we started it up, the power window controls and radio were dead. Visually checked fuses and relays; no probs. Saw a similar post about someone who had the exact same thing happen when she closed her glovebox. Where do I begin to track this problem?

Friday, April 20th, 2012 AT 5:40 PM

There are fuses underhood for the windows as well as circuit breakers and delay relays. There is also some inside pass compartment. Chaeck all of them one or two also effect the radio

+2
Friday, April 20th, 2012 AT 7:46 PM
SUKHOI27

Checked all fuses and relays underhood and in pass compartment. All look OK. Only one relay/breaker (underhood)controls power windows and 4 in pass compartment fuse box affect radio/NAV. None blown.

+1
Saturday, April 21st, 2012 AT 2:57 AM

Then check for a ground wire or power wire broken

+2
Saturday, April 21st, 2012 AT 1:42 PM
SUKHOI27

How do I begin this process? What tools/meters do I need?

+1
Saturday, April 21st, 2012 AT 1:50 PM

A dvom will work for this that's a volt ohm meter. The ground for the power window is under the center console and the radio behind right side of dash. Are you sure you have checked the delay relay in the central junction box? You could have broken wires in door or a bad switch to pw as well.

+1
Saturday, April 21st, 2012 AT 1:57 PM
SUKHOI27

Excellent expert guidance, hmac300! I'd wracked my brain for what the stereo and power windows had in common and you nailed it :-) They both operate after the ignition is turned off and utilize a delay circuit. The 60A fuse under the hood was fine, so I moved on to the 15A fuse in slot 17 in the passenger compartment fuse box. *BLOWN* Replaced the fuse and all is perfect. Thanks again!

+5
Saturday, April 21st, 2012 AT 3:59 PM
AMC51

I have the same problem with my Aviator. I was able to replace the fuse and it worked for several days and now when I replace the fuse it blows as soon as it is plug in. Where can I find an electrical schematic. Also is there a way to contact members on this site. Thanks

-1
Monday, August 20th, 2012 AT 2:57 PM
BRANDON0413

Having the same problem with my 2004 Aviator. What fuse was it that you replaced?

+1
Sunday, November 20th, 2016 AT 4:39 PM
SMMOORE

This forum has been so helpful. Your replies led us to fuse #17 that was blown. It kept blowing when we tried to replace it. That led to more research and we found out the visor vanity lights are also connected to the relay delay system. Had just installed new visors. Took the new visors out and was able to install fuse #17 and all systems work. Reinstalled the visors without plugging in the lights. Thanks so much for forums like this.

Sunday, April 23rd, 2017 AT 9:34 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Cheers, Ken

Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 AT 11:41 AM