Air Conditioning/Blower not working

JMACCOMBS5
  • 2004 CHEVROLET IMPALA
My vehicle is a 2004 Chevy Impala. About five days ago my blower stopped working all of a sudden, so the fan would not blow any air at all (neither heat nor A/C). I hoped it could just be the HVAC fuse that had blown so I went and bought a 25A fuse to replace it. I replaced it and the blower started working again, although it was a little slower than it used to be. Yesterday the blower went out again though, so I now don't know if it was the fuse.

One thing I noticed in addition to the blower going out was that when I began to push on the gas pedal from idle/park, a screeching sound would start for about 5 seconds and stop once the car got going (a sound as if air or water was being released is how I would describe it).

Not sure if these two issues are related but they occurred pretty much around the same time. All my fluid levels are good (I just filled them up completely), as I thought it was maybe the power steering fluid that was low and making the noise (because this noise was in addition to me turning the wheel).

Thanks for the help!
Friday, July 27th, 2012 AT 2:51 PM

KHLOW2008
Have the blower fan motor checked. Looks like it is failing. Try giving thr blower motor housing some banging with your hands and if it starts working, the motor is due for replacement. Get this done and monitor if the noise goes away.
+3
Friday, July 27th, 2012 AT 2:57 PM
RBSHAW
  • 2005 CHEVROLET IMPALA
The blower motor doesn't work in my car.
The only time it does work is when I pull and check all the fuses. It seams as if something is being reset. The blower will only work once after restarting the car. Once you turn engine off and restart the engine, the nblower quits working.
Is there a wiring diagram that I can use to trace the problem down and replace the bad part?
Saturday, October 20th, 2018 AT 4:50 PM (Merged)
Could be the HVAC control module and the blower motor control processor.

See the guide below on testing the wring

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

The wiring diagram is attached below
-1
OMINOUSTS
  • 2004 CHEVROLET IMPALA
2004 Chevy Impala 120000 miles

Blower motor on 2004 Impala stopped working, actually started smoking through vents. So I removed it and it was seized. I replaced the blower and it didnt work. Fuses are all working. Hooked voltmeter up to the blower wires and read zero volts, so I removed blower control module and checked voltage into it, which also read zero. The fuses for each show 12.7 V and 13.4 V respectively. Is there another part in between the fuses and module that im missing?
Saturday, October 20th, 2018 AT 4:52 PM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9
Do you have auto climate control or manual a/c?Also what model impala do you have?Let me know and I will get you a wire diagram and trouble tree.
+1
OMINOUSTS
It has manual a/c and the model is 3.4 L engine, Base model. Will definitely donate if I get it working.
SATURNTECH9
I emailed you a trouble tree and wire diagram to your personal email. Please post all your question's and finding's on this posted question so other user's can help fix there car.
OMINOUSTS
I found an Open Line between the Battery Positive Voltage Circuit C to the Ground A (I also tried gound on car both where OL) on the 5 Pin blower motor control processor.

I'm assuming that this means when the original blower motor started to go bad drawing to many Amps it burned out the wires and they need to be replaced or do I have to do something else.
SATURNTECH9
Terminal c at the blower motor control processor should have power going to it. Terminal a at the blower motor control processor should have a connection to ground. You Need to check those two seperate put the black lead to chassis ground then put the meter on dc volt's and test the Terminal c at the blower motor control processor should have power going to it. Now with the black lead still grounded put the meter on low scale ohm's take the red lead and see if you have less then two ohm's at Terminal a at the blower motor control processor. Let me know what you find for each reading.
PETELOPEZ
  • 2002 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I replaced the blower resistor, it was bad, still the blower did not work. I checked the wires on the harness to the resistor and no resistance between the wires coming from the selector switch. I don't know how to get to the switch without breaking something. I have checked all fuses related to the ac circuits.
OMINOUSTS
Terminal A does have a connection to ground and I can read 1700 Ohms between A and B, but A to C is an open line. I can read a small voltage of 0.1 V between A and B.

A to Chassis ground has 1.6 Ohms between them. C to chassis ground is Open Line.

Sorry it took me so long to get back I've been on vacation and its been too hot to do any work.

I've tried following the wires to under the hood but couldnt find where they come out.
KEN

The blower motor goes out int hses cars and takes out the resistor. I would test the power at the blower motor and then if bad replace the blower. Here is a guide that will help you get the job done.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/blower-fan-motor-works-on-high-speed-only

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
SATURNTECH9
If you have 1.6 ohm's to ground on terminal a to the blower motor processor then that's good. For terminal c to the blower motor processor we are looking for power not ground. So ground the black lead of the meter and put the meter on dc volt's setting 12 volt's or above scale and take the red lead and test for power to terminal c if you don't have battery voltage there then see if you have power to the hvac blower fuse in the under hood junction block.
OMINOUSTS
I checked the blower motor fuse under the hood, (I had checked the fuses on the side of the car but not the ones under the hood) it was blown out of course.

So I went down and got a new 30 amp BUSS plugged it in and now the blower is running, but it is always running on high and never turning off even when the car is off. From the other posts I've read on here it seems like the blower control moduloe has gone bad too and needs to be replaced. Is that true?
SATURNTECH9
At least the motor runs too bad it won't shut off.I emailed you the trouble tree for blower motor always on. Try to work around the part where it asks you to use a scan tool. Let me know what you find.
OMINOUSTS
I worked through the trouble tree and ended up replacing the blower control module. I installed it and everything works fine. Thanks for all the help!
BUSSIEBUZZIE
  • 2005 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Replaced motor blower still not working checked fuses there good
SATURNTECH9
Glad to hear you got it all figured out. Thank you very much for your donation. Also thank you for using 2carpros.
Check and test the blower motor resistor/fan control module, blower motor relay and the blower switch
JOE535
  • 2002 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Blower motor for heater only operates on highest setting will not operate on lower settings, what gives?